Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! Hope everyone is doing well. I have a '74 CB450 K7 that I bought about a year ago. It's here.

Before the season, I decided to clean up the fuel system. Rebuild carbs, new fuel line, new throttle cable, and air filters. As I have stated in many other my other posts, I am a novice mechanic at best, so please forgive my shortcomings of knowledge.

The issue I'm trying to solve by the fuel system clean up is what a lot of 450 owners have experienced: A weak or non-firing left cylinder. Before I decided to rebuild the carbs, the only indication I had that the carbs themselves were the issue was something I haven't been able to find elsewhere. I didn't check anything else before I took them off, but am going to do a compression test later this week.

When perpendicular to the ground, the left cylinder/exhaust was weak and shotty. However, when leaning onto the kickstand, it picks up almost entirely.

I was told by a good friend that this points to a float maladjustment. A couple days ago when reassembling the carbs, the floats both measured at 20mm. Could anything else be wrong with them? A faulty float valve, by chance? I'm looking for some help on possible causes for this one. What would cause it to pick up when leaned to the left?

This is judging, of course, that the issue is in the carbs, which I haven't determined conclusively, but am assuming.

Thanks in advancedfor any advice!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Take the float out and shake it; if the adjustment is correct, it could be fuel has gotten into one of the float chambers. But, that would overfill the carbs (which could be the problem), so have a look at the spark plug while you're at it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts