Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had a Vetter Windjammer mounting bracket for a single downtube frame.
DOHC 450, 350, 360, SOHC 400/450, 200, 175, 185 etc.

Please let me know what you have, what you're asking for it and estimated shipping to 01835 if you're serious.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems so, but wouldn't you think someone had at one time or another removed one from a project or parts bike and wouldn't mind accepting $20 plus shipping for the mounting bracket?

Rusty would do just fine, rust comes off easily enough.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You'd think so, but I guess not many (if any) actually have their bracket around after the fairing, or maybe neither... personally, I don't like fairings and really didn't like the Windjammer because it added so much bulk to the front end of the bike - but then again, I'm not a long-distance road bike guy either. However, I will say that the bulk and weight of a fairing like that did nothing to reduce the wheelie-ness of the KZ1000 Police Special... I briefly got in some deep doo-doo once for doing one in front of a motorcycle training class at Tampa's academy after working on the bike, and the Lieutenant called me over afterward and sternly said "don't EVER do that again"... while the guys in the class were still applauding

first Kaw at Sub4.jpg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a guy in my town a few years ago who had a nice early KZ900 (cafe) and a KZ1000 police bike without decals and lights (not sure if it ever saw duty) it was an inspiring bike to see in action.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I'm a big fan of Windjammers. I have a Windjammer V that will go on my GL1100. Even though the Windjammer was first introduced in 1971, it wasn't until the mid 70s when they got really popular. Most of the early Windjammers wound up on BMWs, CB750s and Suzuki GT750. I remember seeing a few CB500Ts with windjammers and every now and then a CB350 or 450DOHC. Most of the 350/450s setup for touring had the Bates handlebar mounted fairings. I'm with Ancientdad, a windjammer with mounting brackets weighs in at about 25 pounds. This is light weight for a frame mount. The comparable Honda fairing on my GL1200 is about 2x.
They are out there but I think it will be difficult to find the right bracket. Watch ebay. In the later 70s Vetter came up with the Quicksilver. Although they have a square headlight, they were sized for midsized bikes and are very cool. Vetter has a great website and he explains how to make your own bracket. Keep us posted and show us your pictures.

Craig Vetter, designer and inventor of the Windjammer fairing,Triumph Hurricane Motorcycle Streamliners and fuel economy motorcycles

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jim I agree with every word you said. I'm interested in mounting my WJ5 to an early 90's 250 Nighthawk, which with it's 56.3" wheelbase is in midsize bike territory, like CB500/550 and KZ650. I have read through Mr.V's site and I'm a member over at the VOG forums too. I really like the part where CV said that he thought that owners of the smaller bore bikes would be the primary buyers, but then shortly after he noticed that most of his fairings were going onto larger bikes.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Alan, I've never seen a 250 with a Windjammer. Pushing a Windjammer through the air takes more horsepower than a bare bike. The Quicksilver was designed for midsized bikes. Here is one on a CB450:

CB450 Quicksilver Fairing.jpg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Between the Purple Rain bike and bikes built to be like it, there are at least several CM400's with Windjammer or clone fairings on them. I once found a WJ mount for a CM185 on ebay, but I can't prove it. There were quite a few dohc CB450s with WJ's too.

I did find the quote I was referring to, it's on the Series 800 page. The series 800 was made from Feb. 1967 until Oct. 1969 to fit 160-175cc Japanese bikes.
"I loved those little Japanese motorcycles and really expected that if I made fairings for them, people would buy them. But they didn't. Riders would rather save their money for their next purchase of a bigger bike. So, the cute little Series 800 was never very popular."

Vetter Series 800 fairing

A CM450A with the entire kit:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts