Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanted - Coil - 1979 CB400 Twin

Where can I get this ? Saw a link to an online shop somewhere but can't remember.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems I solved the ignition switch problem by cleaning it. Now looking for a coil.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would recommend the GM coil mod, if possible
I've been referred to the link and am looking for generic coil to fit, but where do I find one ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
805 Posts
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NORS-1990s-...N-COIL-DR39-/132279681628?hash=item1ecc7bc25c
Here's an example of the type of coil used for the GM mod, you can call your local auto parts store (I assume some American cars are exported there, find one in the list that you've seen around) and see if they have something that matches.

You will also need a matching spark plug wire, I found them at a junkyard because they want you to buy 4 or 6 at once.
not sure about the link, the connectors are wrong but you'll be soldering them to the connector anyway

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NORS-1990s-...N-COIL-DR39-/132279681628?hash=item1ecc7bc25c
Here's an example of the type of coil used for the GM mod, you can call your local auto parts store (I assume some American cars are exported there, find one in the list that you've seen around) and see if they have something that matches.

You will also need a matching spark plug wire, I found them at a junkyard because they want you to buy 4 or 6 at once.
not sure about the link, the connectors are wrong but you'll be soldering them to the connector anyway
Thanks. Will check it out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, raced around town this morning looking for compatible car coil. Apparently any one that fires two cylinders at the same time would work. Unfortunately nowadays you don't get salesman with too much product knowledge. Closest I could get was that the coil off a Mazda Etude would work, but could not get one.

There was this one place with a very nice coil and the right plug leads, but the price was stupid.

So E-bay it will be, and I'll just have to wait a few more weeks before I can ride the bike again. (After all, I had to wait 35 years to get one again)

Reactions: 80cb400t

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put the old coil back and go for a ride. Get back and fiddle a bit with the carbs. Check the float heights and both exact about 5mm below joint between bowl and body. I think that's about right. Then the left float bowl drain leaks. Drain the bowl and lots of dirt comes out. So much for a 'professional' re-doing the carbs for me.

This was the only variable on the bike after I bought it. So its back to the drawing board, take the carbs off and clean them properly. I will leave the electrics aside until that is sorted.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You might want to look inside the tank for rust too. It is possible that the carbs were cleaned but ended up dirty again.
However it does seem that every time someone gets carbs "cleaned professionally" it turns out they weren't cleaned at all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might want to look inside the tank for rust too. It is possible that the carbs were cleaned but ended up dirty again.
However it does seem that every time someone gets carbs "cleaned professionally" it turns out they weren't cleaned at all.
The tank was cleaned and sealed. But yes, seems I'm going to be best off by stripping the carbs and clean them again.

At least the ignition switch problem seems to be solved.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I need to check... is the fuel level in the float bowl at 5mm below the gasket level correct, or should it be at gasket level ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts