Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my Bomber - DOES ANYONE AHVE ONE THEY CAN TURN LOOSE OF ? Is there a new one available anywhere or does anyone have one or an idea on what to do ?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: Chain Tension Idler

Rick..... I'd replace it if you can locate a new (or better used one).... Depends on the "brittleness" or resiliance of the rubber.....The center ridge looks like it's starting to "chunk" out already......

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could make these; need to know what material(s) to use.
Any ideas ?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Personally, I think Teflon or Nylon would work....The question would be how to affix them to a steel or bronze bushing...L/H threads maybe?....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'd buy a couple - last one I got had to come from one of our Aussie members.....

While you're at it, make some replacements for the cam chain tensioner roller......

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone out there have one to let go of ????
Please......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Rick.... I have one used one, and while it looks better than yours, is not 100% either..... E-mail me as [email protected] ... I can take and send pics if necessary.....If you'll cover shipping, you can have it on an approval basis...I was stockpiling it as a spare.....

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi Rick
Years ago (1975 or so) a friend of mine made up the roller that fitted into the cam chain tensioner, out of nylon, which worked very well. I believe that to fit the bush he heated the nylon, having previously slightly undercut the central hole ("interference fit I believe it was described as). He warmed the nylon up then pushed in the bush. It never moved.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are a couple of used ones on ebay right now, including one that looks like it is really good shape.

There was a Thai company advertising brand new ones on ebay a few weeks ago, but I don't know what happened to their ads.

Also check on the web for an Italian racing parts company (I think called "Capellini" that makes a metal sprocket to replace the rubber wheel).

The whole design sucks... who thought it was a good idea to have a rubber wheel riding on a chain? It like driving on speed bumps every mile you're on the road!

I need to replace mine... it is TORE UP! But I think I'm just going to ride it until it breaks or I can get it into the rebuilder next Spring.

71hondacbtwin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts