Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated I need first over pistons and rings. As best as I can tell I am still within (just) factory specs but I suppose since I've gone thru all this trouble I might as well bore 'em out and be sure!!

If anyone has any leads I would be grateful...so far all I can see is a set from thailand. I've spent the better part of a year there and am skeptical at best! If someone has a good ebay experience from the land of smiles please ring in and set me straight!! ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I have two NOS sets of Honda pistons, rings, pins, and clips that I'm probably not gonna use, as I plan on having Team Hansen build my engine for me with their pistons. BUT, I paid a pretty penny for them.... I'll have to check on what sizes I do have to be sure. I think one set might be 1st over and the second set 3rd over?? I'll look and get back to you in this thread. DON'T LET ME FORGET. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How pretty a penny are we talking here???
I'm expecting to pay a couple hundred bucks to generate some more power capt'n!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I was just saying that these aren't your cheap Ebay piston sets for $50 or some such thing. I paid a around $150 plus shipping for each set. Currently the sets on Ebay from Thailand are going for $169.99 plus $15.00 shipping without pins and clips. Mine have them included.

I just checked and one set is factory bore size, and one set has "50" on top of the pistons. So actually second over.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well GB...shout me with a price that you'd be willing to part with the set for and let's do it.
I am at Postal Code T3E-2J5 (Canada) if you need to check on shipping costs...

And thanks for the pics, and ideas regarding the VIN plate. I agree with you that duct tape is gonna be the simplest route. Wish I had access to a booth like that! I'll be doing my own blasting in a sand pit down the road from here. Low tech and dirty...typical :shock:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I'm not too sure on a price really? Keep the speak in US dollars for me. I can accept Paypal the easiest. Shipping to Canada is gonna be expensive too! Plus it may get caught up at customs?

If you want to make a reasonable offer then feel free cuz I just don't know what to ask for the kit, and still be fair?

Anyone else got an idea of what they're worth or what you'd personally give? I don't want to take a loss but I don't want to rip anyone off either. Add the shipping cost to Canada on to that and this could get pricy??

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
A quick shipping quote is anywhere from $26.00 to $35.00 US dollars. At a declared value of $200 shipped with insurance. It's just a guideline though, and not an actual quote.

I thought that may help you come up with an offer?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
OK bad news. The two sets I have are as follows:

Standard bore piston set, with rings, pins, clips.

50 over (the pistons have 50 marked on top in ink) only have the two pistons, and the rings. No pins or clips. At least I can't find em if I have em.. :cry:

Sorry for the confusion....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well...are the overbore wristpins and clips different from stock??? excuse my ignorance but i've never bored a set out. if not i have multiple sets of pins and clips...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
GBones said:
well...are the overbore wristpins and clips different from stock??? excuse my ignorance but i've never bored a set out. if not i have multiple sets of pins and clips...
They're the same.......

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tbpmusic said:
GBones said:
They're the same.......

Well.....I think it was Bill that says 'The sure fire way to find that lost part....order a new one!' :lol:

Since the pins and clips are common, I say lets do it...I'm a bit interested in a photo tho. Seems odd that the overbore pistons don't have .50 stamped in the top of 'em. I'm assuming they are brand new...maybe an ART product???

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I think all of the original Honda pistons were Art products. Some wise old guy here once told me that I believe.. :lol:

I'll work on getting that pic. I can measure them if that'd be better. Easier for me, that's for sure. They're brand new in their Honda boxes. Actually, the standard set is the only set in the boxes, but the ones in the bags match those perfectly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah whatever is easier. Calipers or digi cam...you decide ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Ok, the cheap $15.00 calipers I have measured them at 70.40mm

Here's your pictures:
[attachment=3:2mztlzja]S5030348.JPG[/attachment:2mztlzja]
[attachment=2:2mztlzja]S5030349.JPG[/attachment:2mztlzja]
[attachment=1:2mztlzja]S5030350.JPG[/attachment:2mztlzja]
[attachment=0:2mztlzja]S5030351.JPG[/attachment:2mztlzja]

I'm still unsure how much to ask for them... IF they're even what you're needing.

NOW, who wants to buy a NOS set of standard bore pistons, rings, pins, and clips??? Hmmmm???

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Those pistons with the 283 code look like Bomber pistons to me - flatter "dome" than 5-speed pistons.
I think their wrist pins are different, too.........

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
A bit more on that -

I went through something similar when getting pistons for my own 450.
You see in the photo the Bomber piston on the left, and the 5-speed piston on the right - they're very different.
Further, my (new) 5-speed wrist pins did not fit very well in the Bomber pistons (too big in diameter)........though I think they may have the same part number, it didn't work for me.....had to return the Bomber pistons and keep looking.

Now, this may not be a bad thing economically, as I suspect Bomber pistons may be a lot harder to find (intentionally anyway).

And yes, ART was an OEM manufacturer for Honda pistons......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Oh snaps! I'm glad you noticed that Bill. I can't believe I didn't until now. I did notice that there was a difference but not that is was such a major one. :oops: I just had a look at the standard bore set and the dome on those is significantly higher. So it looks like the sets I have are...

Standard bore piston set with clips, pins, rings - late model 450
50 over piston set with just rings - early 450 "bomber"

I'm really glad you saw that. You just saved us both a lot of trouble.

I guess I need to get off my butt and start my own for sale thread.. I've got a BUNCH of stuff I need to unload. Most all of it is NOS stuff. Pistons, valves, fork boots, etc. Plus all of my take off parts from my build keep piling up..

SO, does anyone else have a piston set for this guy??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to worry GB...these things happen. Thanks for the EBay find tho...I've bid on it but it's still six days out...we'll see what happens. I guess the only other option would be to find a pair of brand new jugs and then buy your standard bore set! any leads??? :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts