Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Hondatwins universe

I am relying on your massive amounts of knowledge to help me with a pressing issue

I want to change my Comstar wheels on my 1979 Cm400t

(Front wheel disc and 1.85 x18 front wheel)
(Rear drum and 2.5 x16 rear wheel)

Not necessarily important to retain the wheel size on either, but am looking for a direct swap and also being able to retain my front disc (don’t want front drum from earlier twin models)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
If you can find one, a complete spoked rear wheel from one of the CB/CM400/450 bikes will bolt right up using the same axle and spacers you're using now, if you can't find a 16x2.5 rear (some will have a 1.85x18) we can calculate spoke length and lace up the size rim you need.

The front is a different story, as none of the CB/CM400/450 bikes as far as I know of came with a spoked wheel with a disk brake. You could swap front ends with another bike from the same period. Its practically a bolt on conversion. I recommend CX500, CB650 or even a CMX250 might be good candidates.
There are also plates available that bolt onto your Comstar hubs converting them to spoked wheel hubs. Its not the same look as stock spoked wheel hubs, but its a direct conversion requiring fewer parts to be swapped out. But they're pricey and don't include spokes or rims.

Bullit Motorcycle Works: Moto Synthesis Comstar Spoke Conversion Kit

If you consider a front end swap it can be a can of worms but can be done simplest when swapping out the whole front end (from handlebars to forks to brakes and wheel) as one unit.
The choices of donor bike start with steering bearing size. Find compatible front ends listed here: https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

Not all will bolt right on because steering stems vary in length, some will bolt right on though, and I think there is a list around here somewhere.

You'll need to choose a donor with the rim size you want, fender style you like, brakes you like and fork length you want. Fork tubes can be shortened by a machine shop so don't let that hold you back, it shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The CM450E uses spoked wheels, but the front has drum. Direct swap axle wise and frame wise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts