Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advertised in local for sale site:

Late 60's CB160?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
It looks like a CB 160 with a CM 400 taillight..... Chrome sidepanels aren't original either, but IT'S A SLOPER!.... For that one, (IF the engine will roll through, AND it has a valid title) I'd go for it!.....(assuming the price is reasonable...) :D :D :D :D

Just as a point of reference, reasonable to me would be in the $325/$350 range MAX, but I'm cheap.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Asking is $400 - "old Honda, just found this in grandpa's barn, don't know what it is."

Title not an issue, no titles used in Canada. No property tax on anything except actual land/house too. But it costs $500 a year to register/insure my Honda C70....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Not a totally unreasonable price, I MIGHT go that much if the engine kicks through and feels like it's willing to run....Or perhaps they would accept an "offer" of $350.... If you get it, get a dated BOS and an undated duplicate BOS (for your file records...), and don't register it until it is in riding condition (using the file copy, now dated at its completion)....... ?!?...... Similar approaches are used here.....
Personally, I have several (4) "not yet running" bikes... that have titles transferred, Plates (registered), and are insured, (but the yearly property tax is based on value/condition and in their current condition, they don't cost but $20 a year for the lot)... Insurance on all of them costs about $200/year....

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here, since there is no previous registration, a dated BOS would be obtained at purchase time. Check with Property Registry to see if there are any liens registered against that serial number ($10), and check our Registration/Insurance dept of the provincial govt to see if it was reported stolen at any time ($free). Then should be good to go in terms of ownership not being disputed. Once operating, get provincial safety inspection ($45) and take BOS and safety to local license office. At that point pay 7% sales tax on the purchase price ($20+) and a year of registration/insurance ($584, just checked, we get smoked on insurance on motorcycles). Then they will issue a Transfer of Ownership Document in your name (not a title, but it's what you sign over to the new owner when sold) and give you a plate to put on. Each new owner gets new plates.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is the front fender sitting up so high over the tire I wonder?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I can see extension plates in the pic that "lift" it... Likely for clearance for "knobbies" at some time, so it probably had a hard life...However, If you were going to restore it that alone is relatively minor.... A locked engine would indicate a price drop necessity for me.... More like $250/$275 tops ( But we both know the decision really is "How much do you want it?")
Regardless of actual engine condition and the purchase price, you WILL have to invest some cash in it just to get it rideable... new tires, battery, carb cleaning, ...all the usual stuff....plus whatever the engine needs....If you get it for $300, expect to have $1000/$1200 invested by the time it's truely roadworthy..... And "Pretty" costs more.....
I'd still buy it if the price was within range for the condition......(But I love the little "sloper" engines...) :D :D Steve

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any real difference between the sloper and vertical twins? I have a '71 CL175 and it is a sweet engine.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
To me, the "sloper' is more aestheticly pleasing.... The engines are essentially simply a generation apart... The Vert is the slopers younger brother.... The 175 sloper was upgraded to a 5 speed from the 160's 4 gear, and got a small bore increase... that's pretty much it.... The 175 vertical top end components can be bolted right on the sloper 175 bottom end although pistons are a bit different, and intakes must be altered for the angle change so the carbs sit correctly..... Visually, the sloper 175 and the 160 are identical, and share many parts....IF you like the 175 vert, you'll like the sloper......These first two links compare the CL versions....the third is the CB160.... the CB175 sloper wasn't sold in the US......... :D :D :D

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0175/scr ... ram175.htm

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0160/scr ... ram160.htm

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0160/spo ... ort160.htm

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
66Sprint said:
Did you go get it yet? :D ......
Emailed, no response yet... I would only be able to do it if they will come down below $200 for price. If someone else local wants to pay $400 for it, they can take it. It would sit around here for a couple years before I could get to it anyways- have to finish my 175 AND my '65 Corvair project first.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
That's a shame... I'd have liked to see someone who appreciates its potential get it.... But, you never know....it still could happen....

Edit:... But at below $200, I'd maybe have to consider a road trip myself...LOL... :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts