Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '84 VT500FT Ascot with a pitted right front fork tube that leaks fork oil. There aren't many Ascot forks for sale, and the ones I can find are in bad shape. Does anyone know if there are other Honda models that would have the same fork tubes? I know the diameter is 37mm, but I can't find the length. I saw somewhere that the VT500C Shadow fork tubes are 776mm long with 37mm diameter. Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I've sent a message to the seller (as well as another shadow fork seller I found). The site you linked first doesn't look like they have the part I need (51410-MF8-003).

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Have a look at this: CarpiMoto Search for 37mm fork tube. Their pricing and location may not be optimal, but they do list fork tube length for many,many bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alan, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, they only have the VT500C (shadow) and VT500E (European variant of the VT500FT). I found a custom fork builder that will build a set for $375, but I don't want to put that kind of money into a bike that's worth less than $2k. Oh well, I may just let it get low enough that it only leaks if I bottom the forks out. :)

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Non-Honda fork tubes should work fine if you have a measured stock length to work with. I also recommend JB-weld for repairing surface irregularities on fork tubes.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
I have an entire Honda 37mm fork set from a CMX 450C , you could possibly swap in....Fork length (top of bridge to axle center) 30 7/8" or ~784.2 mm.....
Visually, the overall length looks correct, the rebel just has taller sliders for its 18" wheel and tire...Since you will be getting the complete forks with sliders, that should not be too problematic......Looks like the two bikes are of similar weight, so it SHOULD ride fine......
We can discuss a reasonable price over the phone if you are interested....You pay shipping..... 540-525-5199....

001-2.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts