Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as some of yall know im putting a CB400A on a mini dune buggy and Theres no room for the stock airbox so ive been going round in circles on carb options and someone suggested VM round slide carbs so ive been reading tons of threads on the subject but most have been on 250s 350s and 360s. So im sposed to have 2 vm-30s but so far ive only found 1 but ive got a buddy thats got a matching pair of vm-32s i can get and was wondering if they would be to big or if they would be fine? Also what is the CtC on the 400 intake mount holes? 60mm? (my motor is at a buddys house or id check myself)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I'd measure the intake port holes in the head and get use whichever is closest. I have some practically brand new vm30s and may consider a trade.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id prefer the vm30s. Ive got a post in the parts for sale section with a list of stuff i have. Only things not listed are the airbox and a set of vb24c carbs as they havent been shipped to me yet. Check and see if theres anything you might be intrested in.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I have a friend that put VB32s on a CB 400T. He was determined to make the bike run correctly with pods. He worked for several years on it. He has now given up on it. The VB32s were just too big. I think VB28s would be the way to go. I would like to try one VB34 on one of these engines myself.
TOOLS

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seriously thought about going with a single 34 also since its not on a bike and i could easily make a equal length manifold.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I think I'm going to hang on to my vm30s King. I may want them for a 350 project someday. Good luck I'll be watching your build.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would make certain things simpler anyway and if you change your mind on those let me know cause id like to get them and im sure we could come up with some kinda deal.Ill be glad to get it finished lol.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
32's are way too big. Remember that the A model came with 28mm venturi's and the manuals had 30 mostly except for the early years which were 32's

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i figured they was but thought id get some opinions anyway being i could get a set pratically free. If i could find my other 30mm carb id be set but it seems to have grew legs and walked off. If anyone has a pair ov vm30s let me know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So im going to use vm30s from polaris trail blazer 250s.....Ive got two but cant seem to find but one but i can get another pretty cheap.....I need some ideals on what jetting etc to get started with....have seen plenty of 350 etc threads but hardly nothing on jetting for the 400s. Im used to jetting keihin carbs and have tons of those jets but thats not doing me any good. these usually come with 2.5 slides and i cant remember the other parts numbers right off hand.....ill have to look at the one i have.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I think I'd start with the common 350 jetting instead of 400. Jetting for the 400's has been with a manual transmission, the A model has a much different cam and Honda only used the 28mm carbs even on the 450 version.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts