Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm doing a complete carb disassembly and clean job of my VM30s. Everything was going swimmingly until I tried to remove the air jet and found it to be stuck. I tried WD-40, tapping the screwdriver with a hammer, twisting the screwdriver with a vicegrip, heat (stove, not direct propane torch, so it didn't get super hot), and even tried drilling it out. Maybe I just need a slightly larger diameter drill bit but I'm afraid of gouging the inside of the carb and ruining it. The damn thing is so tiny, its hard to get some real force on the screwdriver, and I'm just getting a bit frustrated. Anybody have any tricks?

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
have you tried penetrating oils?...like pb blaster or seafoam deep creep? not an easy part to get out...drill press with reverse drill bits would be what I'd try but I'd be very skeptical of removing without destroying the carb...slow and steady and give the penetrating oil several days to work into the part before hiting it with any thing

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply! So I didn't try penetrating oils, but I sprayed some on and I'll leave them a few days per your advice. Do you think I should try soaking them in a coffee can full of the stuff or is spraying it all that is necessary?

Please tell me if this is crazy, but what I plan to do before I attempt to drill out the air jet I stripped last night is to hammer a 3mm screwdriver into the top of the jet, hoping that the brass is soft enough to permit me to essentially make a new thread. I'll then heat the carburetor body with a butane torch and try to turn it out with the screwdriver. Is that insane/impossible? Should I just bend to the inevitable and get a set of reverse drill bits?

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
As long as you use drill bits smaller than the thread core diameter (3.5mm?) you won't damage carb (unless you go completely crazy and drill way too deep)
Best to get new jets first then do some measuring/look up thread specs
I bought a set of reverse drill bits, 1/16" to 3/16", cheaper in the long run for me as I do a lot of carb modifications

·
Banned
426 Posts
Thanks for the reply! So I didn't try penetrating oils, but I sprayed some on and I'll leave them a few days per your advice. Do you think I should try soaking them in a coffee can full of the stuff or is spraying it all that is necessary?

Please tell me if this is crazy, but what I plan to do before I attempt to drill out the air jet I stripped last night is to hammer a 3mm screwdriver into the top of the jet, hoping that the brass is soft enough to permit me to essentially make a new thread. I'll then heat the carburetor body with a butane torch and try to turn it out with the screwdriver. Is that insane/impossible? Should I just bend to the inevitable and get a set of reverse drill bits?
I have worked with brass...A LOT... and Noooo.
Like aluminum it is a fairly soft, but unlike aluminum it is quite brittle. So while trying to cut into it by impact can shave it,it is more likely to shatter it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have worked with brass...A LOT... and Noooo.
Like aluminum it is a fairly soft, but unlike aluminum it is quite brittle. So while trying to cut into it by impact can shave it,it is more likely to shatter it.
Hey Mayhem, would you suggest drilling out those jets as well? Penetrating oil soak vs spray?

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
there's no easy answer...patience and luck have as much to do with success.

I use heat on carbs very sparingly...primarily I use heat to assist the penetrating oil...soak with oil, then heat to help it penetrate...this will catch fire by the way so be prepared. I do cycles of heat and oil to work the oil in....then walk away for a few days after a final soaking with oil. success in this scenario is marginal so don't be surprised if you end up needing a new carb. I've got a carb or two in my box of parts with this exact thing and gave up on them, with the idea that one day I'll get around to trying again on the stuck jet

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Would it hurt anything to set the whole thing in a container with a quart of Dexron and a quart of acetone mixed? (EDIT: Best penetrating oil I ever used.)

Regards,

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I'm not familiar with that carb, but heck I've never let that slow me down. The modern gasoline will turn into a good gummy glue if it is left to dry out. Try putting the carb in the oven at 250 degree for about an hour and then try to remove the jet. You will need an oven mitt. I have used a small garage sale crock pot filled with antifreeze to heat the carb bodies too. The heat will do two things: 1. loosen the gummed up fuel and 2. slightly expand the aluminum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Penetrating oil (pb blaster) worked like magic. Literally. Could scarcely believe how effective it was. The jet I stripped came out easily with some reverse drill bits. On to the next problem!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts