Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a cool vintage or reproduction style helmet. Anybody got links to anything out there?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
The standard rule is.... If you weren't riding when that style of helmet was originally in vogue, you don't have enough riding experience to risk it.....

Translation: If you have a $5 head, wear a $5 helmet....

My "porridge pot" helmet is for shows and rallies...I wear a full coverage otherwise, and I've been riding 45 YEARS!

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
AWESOME! I wonder if they're legal in my town.... :idea:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Gotta go with the red or even gold metalflake...

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afv2.html

My family has a history of those metalflake versions: grandpa had a Captain America, three older brothers had red and/or blue metalflake, I had two red metalflake versions....

DOT approved, even.

Kirk

·
Registered
163 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
god, i wish i could find the picture of the guy that comes to shows with the collander on his head... yeah he actually rivetted a chin strap to it too

·
Registered
275 Posts
Also, check motor scooter stores. Especially larger, well established scooter stores such as Vespa dealers.
You may not want to buy from them but you can look at em, try em on etc.
Metro Scooter in Cinci (Ohio) carries puddin bowl style helmets.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you are wanting a "vintage style" helmet, you should be REAL CAREFUL when buying them. most of them are really small and do not offer good coverage for your dome. I wouldn't buy one unless it's DOT approved. I tend to stay away from "puddin bowl" lids cause they really dont offer much protection but open face or 3/4 helmets are safer( imho) and also easier to find DOT.

here are some manufacurers;
Davida helmets
Ruby helmets
fulmer helmets

I just bought a Bell helmet... custom 500 model and its as nice as youll find without spending alot, and it's still DOT certified.

I agree with 66sprint, you should buy whatever helmet you think your brain is worth... I tend to buy the most expensive I can find but maybe I'm biassed on the value of my noggin ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh STAY AWAY FROM NOSTALGIA helmets like Biltwell, Joe King speed shop. they are for DECORATION NOT protection. and anything that you have to put the DOT sticker on is not DOT!!!!!!!

there is tons of money that goes into the R&D on a certified helmet, and just imagine how many they tear up just making sure it'll protect your grey matter. that's just one reason they are a little higher... but it's worth it.

I personally ride with either a shoei x-11, suomy spec 1r extreme, or arai r7 corsair and make my girl wear my other shoei x-11. the bell 500 i own is really just my nostalgia helmet, but i do wear it from time to time

·
Registered
583 Posts
I stopped wearing non-DOT skid-lids right around 2000. This was about the time when even 4th graders were getting their own cell phones. Since then the number of distracted, drunk, unlicensed and uninsured drivers on the road has absolutely skyrocketed. Riding a motorcycle gets more dangerous every single day. Buy the best safety gear you can afford, helmet, jacket (try to get a jacket with a zip-out liner and lots sealable vents, you will be more likely to wear it if it easily adapts to changing weather conditions), and gloves at a minimum.

Next spend a little more money to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Go in with an open mind and you will most likely learn a few things. I've been riding motorcycles since 1975 and took the course in 1988 and again in 2000. Both times I learned something new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts