Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my ever increasing attempt (obsession) to collect all things vintage Honda, I recently acquired this original dealer electrical service tester. I realize nowadays a simple multimeter performs most of these functions in a smaller, much lighter package but please let me just have my fun!
Anyway, it seems to be in good condition and has most if not all the wires needed for connection (minus the tach instrument which was maybe an add-on?). I’m curious to test it out but before I do I would like to find a copy of the original instruction manual that came with the device for fear of connecting things wrong and inadvertently frying some of the electronics. I know a manual exists, I’ve seen it on the internet and we all know that everything you see on the web is the truth, right? :-? Seriously, here is the link to where I’ve seen the manual: https://images.app.goo.gl/Werk33NLHqEv6EnY7
If anyone has this instruction manual, knows where to get one, access to a copy, or has any general knowledge or information on one these testers I would appreciate the information. Thanks for any leads! (No pun intended :p)

IMG_3867.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Nice! For some measurements in the old service manuals, that is actually better, as a new multimeter doesn't provide the same loads as that does, and you have to guess at the conversions.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The tach part was a hand held unit (looked like an old time bicycle generator) with a rubber tip on it that you held against the alternator bolt. That's the reason that bikes from that era have little divots machined in center of the alternator and spark advance mounting bolts, it helped to keep the drive end of the tool centered.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rick, yes I love having an original copy of the old service manuals in the green binder. That’s where I first saw these testers and wondered to myself “that’s great, but how am I going to conduct that test without the fancy instrument”. Hopefully someone can direct me to the manual for this machine.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Another excellent find you've made for your increasingly-fuller garage... as if there isn't enough to look at in there already! I was never fortunate enough to use one while employed at any of the Honda shops, the service mangler always kept them under lock and key and usually was the guy who did the testing. I remember seeing one many times, but never saw the tach attachment Mike described - though now I understand the divot in the alternator bolts after all these years. Very cool find and frankly, it wouldn't matter to me if it was ever used for any test purposes - just having such a relic is the value in the find completely. You and my longtime friend Matt must have been separated at birth... he comes up with some of the most unusual and unlikely finds at swap meets and yard sales too (but you look nothing alike, and believe me, that's a compliment to you! :D )

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
If you ever come across a SANWA Electrical Tester SP-10D or a KOWA Electrical Tester TH-5H I'd love to get one. Honda part number 07308-0020000 SANWA or 07208-0020000 KOWA.
It's the specific analog VOM used for testing the 400/450 CDI's

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Bought this from a Honda dealership about 20 years ago:
DSCF0562.JPG "We don't use this any more we just sell the customer a new head" Some wear on the cutters and a few broken parts but still cool to have.

Reactions: 12ozPBR

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you ever come across a SANWA Electrical Tester SP-10D or a KOWA Electrical Tester TH-5H I'd love to get one. Honda part number 07308-0020000 SANWA or 07208-0020000 KOWA.
It's the specific analog VOM used for testing the 400/450 CDI's
I’ll have to make a note of these on my phone that way when I’m out and about in the future and stumble upon something I will have the info with me

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought this from a Honda dealership about 20 years ago:
View attachment 287258 "We don't use this any more we just sell the customer a new head" Some wear on the cutters and a few broken parts but still cool to have.
Very cool indeed! Thanks for posting the pic. I’ve seen those in the “Honda Special Tools” kits for specific models but that looks like a collection from many different models. Have you actually used them to clean up valve seats? I bought a simple Neway kit and worked on my 450 head. You definitely have to be careful and use a light touch from my experience. I have seen these special tool kits in the metal box sell on eBay from time to time but always outside of my price point. It’s worth saying if anyone has one that they would consider selling I would be interested. I would be most interested in ones for models 305, 350, or 450

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Those cutters in the bottom of the pic are Triumph sized cutters, had to make a different pilot for them. That shorter piece with the threads on the end is the tool for pulling out the rocker shafts on the 305s.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my ever increasing attempt (obsession) to collect all things vintage Honda, I recently acquired this original dealer electrical service tester. I realize nowadays a simple multimeter performs most of these functions in a smaller, much lighter package but please let me just have my fun!
Anyway, it seems to be in good condition and has most if not all the wires needed for connection (minus the tach instrument which was maybe an add-on?). I’m curious to test it out but before I do I would like to find a copy of the original instruction manual that came with the device for fear of connecting things wrong and inadvertently frying some of the electronics. I know a manual exists, I’ve seen it on the internet and we all know that everything you see on the web is the truth, right? :-? Seriously, here is the link to where I’ve seen the manual: https://images.app.goo.gl/Werk33NLHqEv6EnY7
If anyone has this instruction manual, knows where to get one, access to a copy, or has any general knowledge or information on one these testers I would appreciate the information. Thanks for any leads! (No pun intended :p)

View attachment 287152
There is a complete service tester for sale on Mecum's website. Auction happening next month. This one includes a manual and parts list. It looks to be a little bit older version of the one you have, based on the style of meter face.

Maybe whoever wins the auction would be nice enough to scan the manual and parts list. I'm most interested in that.

“I don’t give a damn for the diploma. What I want is the knowledge.” – Soichiro Honda
"I don't need a paper copy for a collection, I want the information" - Me

Yes, I realize there is a "Found for Sale" section, but thought it was more relevant to post here.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I did find the Kowa and Sanwa testers I was looking for in Japan. Now to take the time to refurbish them to correct operation.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a complete service tester for sale on Mecum's website. Auction happening next month. This one includes a manual and parts list. It looks to be a little bit older version of the one you have, based on the style of meter face.

Maybe whoever wins the auction would be nice enough to scan the manual and parts list. I'm most interested in that.

“I don’t give a damn for the diploma. What I want is the knowledge.” – Soichiro Honda
"I don't need a paper copy for a collection, I want the information" - Me

Yes, I realize there is a "Found for Sale" section, but thought it was more relevant to post here.
NealC, thanks for pointing this auction out, I had not seen it yet. I’ll keep my eye on it for sure. You are right it is a slightly different version of the one I have pictured earlier in the discussion. I’m not sure which is an early vs late model. I have been fortunate enough to find the parts list/maintenance notes/troubleshooting sheet pictured in the auction listing. If you need any info off of it let me know. Additionally I’ve discovered there are instructions for the use of the model I have in the electrical section of the CB450 K0 factory service manual.
Despite all this I still haven’t been able to use mine because the next stumbling block I’ve incurred is I think I need to replace this part:

I‘m not the most electrically savvy individual so I can’t explain exactly what it does (need to do some research) but what I can tell you is if you are not careful when you google search this part you can get quite a surprise with all the “items” that are at the top of the search results! :oops::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did find the Kowa and Sanwa testers I was looking for in Japan. Now to take the time to refurbish them to correct operation.
Jim, good to hear you found the testers you were looking for! Feel free to post about them in this discussion. I’d be interested to see photos of them and follow the work you do in refurbishing them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
NealC, thanks for pointing this auction out, I had not seen it yet. I’ll keep my eye on it for sure. You are right it is a slightly different version of the one I have pictured earlier in the discussion. I’m not sure which is an early vs late model. I have been fortunate enough to find the parts list/maintenance notes/troubleshooting sheet pictured in the auction listing. If you need any info off of it let me know. Additionally I’ve discovered there are instructions for the use of the model I have in the electrical section of the CB450 K0 factory service manual.
Despite all this I still haven’t been able to use mine because the next stumbling block I’ve incurred is I think I need to replace this part:
View attachment 301813
I‘m not the most electrically savvy individual so I can’t explain exactly what it does (need to do some research) but what I can tell you is if you are not careful when you google search this part you can get quite a surprise with all the “items” that are at the top of the search results! :oops::ROFLMAO:

I used to race what are called micro-sprint cars a few decades ago. Back then they were called modified midgets. Not long after the internet became a thing, forums were quick to follow, and you could search for parts and such. Searching Yahoo (no google back then) for modified midgets would result in interesting listings as well.....?

You might have luck asking forums that focus on vintage televisions and guitar amplifiers. That part looks like one generation newer than a vacuum tube.

If you have the ability to scan and load the manual for the tester, it would be much appreciated. I'll check to see if there is a CB450K0 manual somewhere as well. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used to race what are called micro-sprint cars a few decades ago. Back then they were called modified midgets. Not long after the internet became a thing, forums were quick to follow, and you could search for parts and such. Searching Yahoo (no google back then) for modified midgets would result in interesting listings as well.....?
I can only imagine...?

You might have luck asking forums that focus on vintage televisions and guitar amplifiers. That part looks like one generation newer than a vacuum tube.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll follow that lead.

If you have the ability to scan and load the manual for the tester, it would be much appreciated. I'll check to see if there is a CB450K0 manual somewhere as well. Thanks!

I have a new app I recently installed on my phone that may work. The sheet is poster size (28.5” x 20.5”) and has been hastily rolled up for years. Give me a chance to flatten it out and temporarily mount it to a piece of cardboard and I’ll see if I can get a decent scan.

Reactions: NealC

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NealC, Here are a couple of PDFs of the scans I did for the Honda electrical tester maintenance manual. I hope they are legible enough and you will be able to get some benefit out of this.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
NealC, Here are a couple of PDFs of the scans I did for the Honda electrical tester maintenance manual. I hope they are legible enough and you will be able to get some benefit out of this.
Thanks. My need was more about understanding what they used and how they used it for diagnosing. This is most interesting. I noticed the part you are looking for, the vibrator, has a service life of 60 hours. I hope it is easier to find than air filters for our bikes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts