Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have used vinegar to remove the rust from your fuel tank. How much baking soda do you use to neutralize the acid and how long do you leave it in the tank? Thanks!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't use baking soda. Just a lot of fresh water. Stick the hose down in there and flush it out well. I then fog the inside with WD40 to prevent rust, and have had good results thus far.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Although you can buy stronger concentrations, most vinegars are 5% acetic acid, you can neutralize if you wish, add about a handful of baking soda per gallon, but a thorough water rinse also does the trick.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yup!^^^^
I used muriatic acid from HD, worked like a champ and FAST!.. however, I used I think 7-8 boxes of baking soda to nutrilize the acid AFTER I poured it out.. added it slowly!!
Hosed out the tank with water, then gas mixed with oil, then coated the inside with WD40..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Same here. I've used some cider vinegar a few times with good results. Just wash it out with water, dry it quick and put gas in it.

It probably won't be a problem this time of year but I found the outside temperature to make a big difference in how effective this treatment is. Do it on a warm/hot day and the rust comes flying off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you really want effective rust removal without the aftereffects of acidic solutions you should try Evaporust. It is not cheap ($23/gal or $80/5 gal) but it can be reused many times. So if you have a lot parts that require rust removal Evaporust is cost effective. Here are a couple of photos from my own resoration project, a '71 CB350.
I did also use Evaporust on my tank and it simply requires a water rinse after draining and saving the Evaporust. I follwed the water rinse with about 10 ounces of isopropyl alchohol to promote fast drying.

Rear fender after partial treatment with Evaporust
IMG_0894.jpg

Close up
IMG_0895.jpg

Bracket - before
DSC_0697 copy.jpg

And after
IMG_0898.jpg

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts