Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, joing the fun of trying to nail down the VINs. I am new to bikes and this is my first. the bikes VIN (riveted on frame) for a CM400T is NC012127624. He said the engine was changed to an '83 Nighthawk, i'm not sure if this is true, what im trying to figure out. The VIN on the crankcase is NC01E-2119368.

addtionally, not sure if this helps, but this number is stamped on the lower cankcase 5432N1.

a couple of sites ive been able to find info on list both these VINs as CM400s, so the bike doesn't have the engine swap? I don;t know, this is what im trying to figure out.

can someone please let know what im riding.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'll take a stab at this.

According to this site both vins are for a CM400 (NC01). What is confusing is that you have a five speed but no kick start. Have you ridden the bike? How many gears do you have? Pictures might help.

If I remember correctly frame and engine numbers did not match from the factory.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
NC01 is a CM400. No kick start would be a 1980. The engine number is close to the VIN so I'd say it's the original engine. This series can have lower engine than frame numbers due to one engine used in multiple versions, close counts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I was starting to be confused as well or at the very least upset about being misled, but thats on me in the end. i thought something might not be adding up. anyways, yes it is a 1980 with no kick start and I have road the bike and can confirm 5 speed.

Im not at home but I have a few pics on my tablet that i will try to upload, if not i can take more as soon as tomorrow and get them up if anything specific would help nail it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jim. It would appear, I or the PO was given bad info.

Let me ask this, is there anyway I can be missing a VIN or serial # somewhere to indicate any of the above? and can clyinders be mismatched beween models, because they have the rating of cm395cc stamped on them, which to me indicates the cm400 model as thought. verifiying what you guys have said already that it looks to be the original enigine or at least another cm400.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The VIN's are found on the steering neck as the frame number and on the engine as the engine number. The frame VIN is stamped into the neck as well as there being an aluminum plate riveted to the neck on the opposite side. That's all the numbers and locations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts