Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just got my '77 CJ360T today and took it out on the backroads for a spin. I love it!

After starting to get a feel for it I now have a mental checklist of things I'd like to do to it, but I also had a bit of a question...

When cruising in 5th at about 60mph, the tach was reading close to 6K and the bike seemed to vibrate like a leafblower. After a minute or two my butt was feeling numb and my hands and feet were tingly. Is this normal for a bike of this type or is this a sign of a problem that I need to have fixed?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
659 Posts
NOTE: 5 gear at 60 mph at 6k rpm...umm...sounds high on the rpm's. Someone may have switched front and/or rear sprockets.....can an expert here confirm ?

As for vibration....I had a new CL175 when they came out. I had a new CB450 when they came out. I also rode many friends new Honda twins back in the 60's. In all cases I don't remember these bikes vibrating much at all. You had to really get to the top of the tach to get much of anything.

So, when I got a CB450 a couple years ago it vibrated alot beyond 5k rpm's. I had everyone and their brother tell me, "Ahh....that's just the way those old bikes were." Not in my experience they weren't.

I've taken my engine apart and found the following.

First, compression was way low on one side only. That's one reason for an out of balance
condition, hence vibration.

Second, one piston, on the low compression side, was heavier than the other, out of spec in fact. Hence, another reason to be out of balance and vibrating.

I fix these, get the carbs balanced perfect and get the timing dead on and I think she'll be smooth as intended by Honda.

Hope this helps....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Sonreir said:
Thanks, Rich.

Do you think there's any harm in running the bike as-is? I'm hoping to save any major projects for the winter as this is a commuter vehicle for me at the moment.
I'm not familiar with the 360's but my '68 CL350 vibrates pretty good. 6K rpm at 60 is about what I see as well and 7K at 70 mph. I know that for sure since I spent about 80 miles running at those speeds last night. The butt gets numb after about an hour. In my case the motor is running great it just buzzes.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm no expert on 360's (thank God), but 350/450 (DOHC) will buzz you pretty good, even geared up - particularly once you get used to modern bikes.......

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sonreir said:
Thanks, Rich.

Do you think there's any harm in running the bike as-is? I'm hoping to save any major projects for the winter as this is a commuter vehicle for me at the moment.
I'd check the compression, clean and balance the carbs, check and adjust valves and timing if necessary. If that works okay, then I'd say you're good to go until your winter rebuild. Oh and I'd install new plugs, points, condensor and inline fuel filters.

None of this is going to cost an arm & a leg any way.

·
Registered
659 Posts
BTW...the name is Ric...I ride an H2. hence, RicH2
Oh look !
There I go now !!!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
RicH2 said:
BTW...the name is Ric...I ride an H2. hence, RicH2
Oh look !
There I go now !!!
Talking about how much a 360 vibrates to a guy like Ric that rides an H2 is like talking to Einstein about how difficult algebra is....on some level he understands what you're going through but is busy laughing inside about what you really don't understand. :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
MNellis said:
Talking about how much a 360 vibrates to a guy like Ric that rides an H2 is like talking to Einstein about how difficult algebra is....on some level he understands what you're going through but is busy laughing inside about what you really don't understand. :)
Legend has it that Einstein actually failed high school algebra, and was not a good student - go figure.....

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK... quick update.

Left cylinder is leaking oil a bit at the head and when I pulled the plug it was BLACK. It's been run less than 100 miles since the seals and rings were replaced, so I'm guessing a may have a bit of work on my hands... :(

I've tightened the head bolt down a bit on that side as it was a bit loose...

Now to sort out my electrical problems.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, appears to be the head gasket.
Not sure how big the leak is, but after riding it 50 miles the first three fins from the gasket down were all coated in oil.

I've tightened the bolt up on that side and I'm hoping that will help at least.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It may help a bit, but as you probably know, you may just be putting a band-aid on a broken bone... I wish you luck though!

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
You bastage! I'd almost kill a man on contract for a Kawi triple.. ;)

Yeah, but who'd hire you to ALMOST kill a man?

:mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts