Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1971 K5 CB450 has a very stiff kick start with the plugs in. With the plugs out everything spins nicely.
I have recently replaced pistons and rings and timing chain.
There is huge difference in resistance in the kicker when the plugs are in. So much so that the only way you can move the kickstart is by pushing down slow which would never start the bike.
What should I be looking for?
Oh, the bike is in neutral.
I would appreciate any help.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
First, are you sure your valves and timing are correct?...If so, put some A$$ into it....I can start my brothers 750 with my hand, but have to drive my full body weight down (165) on the 450..... You are fighting between 180 and 215 PSI compression....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Big check is to make sure you put oil in the bike, especially if its a fresh rebuild. My 350 motors will kick back really hard till the rings seat. They are still trying to find there new home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I am taking too easy on her just because of the rebuild. I put oil in after I replaced the cam chain. I'll keep trying with a little more A$$. thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
mine is super stiff as well and I can't even pop start the bike without a full run sometimes. What's the compression on these things? Its pretty high. It's just how it is I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts