Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the guys at THR. Some neat build lapse time video and some good on track action as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So... as a total newbie when it comes to engine work, I really wish there was a commentary to go along with that video. I really had no idea what he was doing most of the time but it all looked important.

JoeN

·
Registered
659 Posts
Barbers track in Birmingham Al.....
Too bad MotoGP isn't coming to Barber instead of the embarrassing infield at Indy.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Znabb said:
Wow! Thats a really great video! :D

I wonder why he smears Hondabond on the copper head gasket. Any ideas?
I wondered that myself... something specific to copper gaskets??

·
Registered
659 Posts
thrilhou said:
Znabb said:

I spray Permatex copper spray-a-gasket on all my copper gaskets, even the copper exhaust gaskets.
Never had a leak. The gaskets come off easily on any later rebuilding.
BTW...using on the exhaust gasket makes them tacky enough to hold them in place while mounting the header.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Love this video! Really dig the in the shop time-lapse portion, and the track pov is awesome!!! I've watched this a few times in a row!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Makes it look so easy.

I need to get my garage in order and build a work stand like that and two work benches so I can work on bikes with one and household crap on the other.

So what is that big as tube-looking thing sticking out of the oil fill hole??

·
Registered
18 Posts
RicH2 said:
thrilhou said:
Znabb said:

I spray Permatex copper spray-a-gasket on all my copper gaskets, even the copper exhaust gaskets.
Never had a leak. The gaskets come off easily on any later rebuilding.
BTW...using on the exhaust gasket makes them tacky enough to hold them in place while mounting the header.

i just saved this tip in my internal memory. :lol:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Holy crap...When did Rocan become a member?

I've been checking out your work on dotheton. Nice work. You know...for a kid. j/k

When I start tearing my bike down this winter, I only hope to have the patience to do as proper a job as you. There are some great quality builds to check out here, too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
anybody have any tips on getting the jugs fins so nice 'n shiny??

·
Registered
589 Posts
Something about this video has been making me scratch my head a lot . . .

. . . at about 2:30, our mechanic attaches what looks like a dial gauge to the top of the engine and takes a number of measurements whilst (I'm guessing) rocking the cam very gently back and forth around the timing mark. He also seems to adjust the cam chain tensioner during the same process. Trouble is, the time lapse, coupled with the camera being at the wrong angle doesn't give a clear enough picture of what he's up to.

So what is he up to? Is it something to do with measuring TDC in relation to valve position? And how would I go about doing the same?

Just wondering, like . . .

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
the-chauffeur said:
Something about this video has been making me scratch my head a lot . . .

. . . at about 2:30, our mechanic attaches what looks like a dial gauge to the top of the engine and takes a number of measurements whilst (I'm guessing) rocking the cam very gently back and forth around the timing mark. He also seems to adjust the cam chain tensioner during the same process. Trouble is, the time lapse, coupled with the camera being at the wrong angle doesn't give a clear enough picture of what he's up to.

So what is he up to? Is it something to do with measuring TDC in relation to valve position? And how would I go about doing the same?

Just wondering, like . . .
You can't see it in the picture but there is probably a degree wheel on the other side attached to the crank and he is degreeing (sic) the cams.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts