Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know right off the top of your head what the form number is to apply for a Vermont transferable registration and does Vermont still offer a registration to out of state residents?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Not that I've heard of. I'm thinking about filling out the papers to try for titles covered by surety bonds, but am hesitant because they'll probably send me down the previous owner rabbit hole.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
They never did offer registrations to non-residents. You have to have a Vermont resident register it, then"sell" it to you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got a Vermont tag last week. The registration form is VD -119. The bill of sale is VT-005. The instructions is VD-119i. All these pdf can be found on the VDMV website.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I read a comment on another forum where someone said they changed it. I guess I was looking at the title page on the Vermont dmv site where you need to be a resident. Confusing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
They never did offer registrations to non-residents. You have to have a Vermont resident register it, then"sell" it to you.
I got a VT registration in Boston, twice, with no problems using my Boston address. And then transferred the registration and got an MA title.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks guys, I've got to give this a try, I've got two bikes I'd like to get titles for.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've done it, the Vermont title, on two different bikes. The first one my state of Texas transferred and titled. The second they transferred the registration but never titled it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does anyone know right off the top of your head what the form number is to apply for a Vermont transferable registration and does Vermont still offer a registration to out of state residents?
Here in NC going the surety bond route is fairly painless. My dad did this with a gold-wing he bought with no title. I'm doing it with a 68 450 I bought from an estate after the owner died. License and thefts comes to your house, takes some pictures and inspects it. They verify it is not stolen. Then you get your bond which is usually pretty cheap, then they send you a title. I think it cost about $150 for the wing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Since laws vary state to state it's worth a little time to find out what your state's laws and loopholes are. In most states you can get a bonded title, but this takes time and money. In AZ you can apply for an abandoned vehicle title for around $30 and a few weeks for a registered letter to go to the last registered owner. You just have to write an affidavit saying the bike's been on your property for more than 30 or 60 days. I did it several times in AZ with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
..A “title”, is a old out of date system..(can’t believe I’m saying this), before computers and databases. It was used to show “ownership”, or used as collateral (loans). Now, everything is in a national data base (thank insurance companies), I see it as a double edged sword. If u are buying/selling a vehicle, a “title” USED To identify as “full ownership”(no liens) and it was YOURS! There is nothing in the world like getting a title in the mail from a lender with your name on it..(PAID OFF)!!
Unfortunately, with the advent of computers and databases.. loans on vehicles are easy to obtain, (but not so easy to pay off) and unscrupulous people would apply for a “lost title”.. use that for a loan, sell the car with the “original”, leaving the new owner holding the loan...
In Ga. a simple “vin verification” can be done by any law enforcement officer.. the vin is entered into NCIC/GCIC.. and all the past owners, registrations, taxes (owed/paid).. and status if stolen or not.. takes about 5mins..
It’s great when looking at purchasing a vehicle out of town or sight unseen.. if the seller is willing to give u the vin.
The system DOES have faults.. it is only as good as the information entered.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts