Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm hoping to get several people to post pics of their drum brakes that they have "vented" and get their opinion on it. My project bike wheels are taken apart and if I decide to vent them I have to do it before powder coat. I like the look but if the braking is hurt or if there is some other down sides then I'll just go on without them. So what do ya'll have, what have you seen, what have you heard, and what do you think?

project bike= '70CB450 street driven only

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
OK...The safety issues....
1. Drilling vent holes in the hub must be done in a way, (and only to the extent) that it does NOT compromise the structural integrity of the hub.....
2. ANY "holes" in the hub or backing plate (or both), must take into account the possibility of water entering, and must allow it to escape quickly and in a way that prevents the shoes from "hydroplaning", rendering the brakes useless....

That being said, In addition to the "air vent" holes, I tend to drill several small "radial" holes in any "vented" wheel hub (in the center, between the spoke flanges) so the centrifugal force of the wheel's spin expells any accumulating moisture ( These are into/through the iron part of the "drum" and MUST be chamfered..... They are the "drum" equivalent of a drilled "disc" rotor).....

PLEASE take into account that some States/Countries FORBID any alterations to the braking systems (at all) and "vented" brakes are primarily for the "hard usage" cases like racing, and are of nominal benefit on the street (except for looking cool) and check into this before you proceed.......

This link shows a pic of some possible "venting" designs (second pic), I'm sure you can find many examples online at the "racer" sites........
http://www.bonnevillevintagegp.com/raffle.html

:D Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts