Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1978 Hawk TII with a VB-21B carburetor that I am trying to clean/rebuild because it was sitting for three years with fuel in the carburetor and it runs very poorly. I was able to remove and clean most of the jets and jet needles but am having trouble figuring out how to remove the slow needle jet. It looks like the slow needle jet is pressed in and I'm not sure of the best way to remove it. I'm referring to the jet needle that is normally covered by a rubber plug. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does the pilot (slow) jet have a screwdriver slot in top? Can you take a picture and show us what things look like?

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
The slow jet is "not removable". It can be done but pretty much always will destroy the jet. The slow jet size is generally not an issue, just ensure it is clean (reference the above mentioned tutorial).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved. I removed the pilot jets using a drywall screw, a torch, a pair of pliers, and a hammer. They are still in very good shape with a little smoothing on the end using a file but I was able to find replacements and will use those. One was a little clogged so I'm hoping that was my problem. I also noticed some small holes and creases in the air cutoff diaphragms and will replace those as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
It looks like those will work. Let me know.
Mike Nixon's white papers are in .swf format which won't work with Google Chrome. I'll have to open another browser and see

1 - 9 of 9 Posts