Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking to clean up my motor through vapor blasting and have already gone through the exciting process of breaking the engine down.

With that said, is there any area that I need to be sure does not get vapor blasted? He will be using spherical glass beads as his media which are supposed to be very gentle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
From what I have "gathered".. vapor blasting is basically "wet" glass bead blasting... the water acts as a "lubricant" and the beads not only clean the surface.. it "peens" it as well.... eliminating "stress points"...
I have seen it advertised as "no need to disassemble" and safe on soft parts... are you looking at DIY? Yeah a large capacity compressor will be nesasary.. with a some pumps not only to move the slurry.. but also keep the media suspended ..
Guys at the local shop built one.. they say it works great but their compressor can't keep up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I'm not looking to do it myself, I have someone doing it who has the professional equipment. My question is... What areas cannot be vapor blasted? In other words, are there specific areas of the motor, internal and external, that cannot be vapor blasted because it would damage the integrity of the engine upon reassembly. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Nothing that is INTERNAL Should be blasted.

In fact pretty much the best way is to reassemble the motor without gaskets.

Stuff the intake and exhaust ports.

Then do only external surfaces.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yendor is right. Not a bike but a friend of mine built a Cobra replica with a monster engine that had been cleaned that way and after a few miles had to pull it and tear it down because of blast material still in the motor.

Bill

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
^^^ I don't believe that was caused by the internal area being blasted..
If material was still in the internal areas of that motor.. to me that was just 1-build being rushed 2-lack of cleaning of the block...
yes, the material may have been a contributing factor.... but poor engine building attention to detail is what caused it...
That is like blaming a poor paintjob on a car because sand got in it from sandblasting

·
Registered
293 Posts
But just one glass bead in a main bearing... seems to me it would be destructive. Even beading a cyl head, how can you be sure you have every last microscopic bead removed? Although I have had many heads glass beaded and have spent way too much time washing the parts meticulously, I'm still nervous when using beaded parts.
Jon Berglund once told me of a triumph engine built by a very reputable builder that lasted only a few thousand miles. He had the oil analyzed and they found a tiny amount of glass media. He refuses to use bead blasting.
Gives me the willies thinking about it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Vapor blasting is safe to do all parts, even the internals. It doesn't get stuck in threaded holes like sand or bead blasting and washes away quite easily. The man I've been speaking to about my engine(s) said that it's totally safe and isn't like regular bead blasting.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I have a dry blast cabinet and agree, those damn beads! The worst is the threaded holes. I wonder if you could fill em with wax or something and then melt it out? Get some bolts in them at min. Even vapor blasted I'd think. Cleaning cases with hot soapy water in a big tub and then clean rinse and careful inspection seems fine to me.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
As far as oil passages, well I'm sure you know how important they are, I think they're through holes so easy cleaning with a bore brush. On a 750 I drilled a end plug out to do this and tapped for a screw. That insured they were clean. The cranks had ball bearings pushed in and peened I think and had to be removed for the same treatment of sludge. You can get things clean if you take care.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Assemble with no internals but fit greased gaskets and rubber seals to every orifice. Pressurize to a few PSI via breather cover and check for air leaks with soapy water . When air tight, fit pressure gauge to air feed tube and maintain pressure whilst bead blasting. Blast with high pressure air. Wash down with acetone and then air blast dry.

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor Automotive super charger part

·
Registered
76 Posts
Local badass restorer has a vapor blast cabinet and just dropped off my carbs today, had to take ALL internals that you would take out for a rebuild. He says all blasted parts need to be bare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts