Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, could someone tell me the correct way to remove the valve retainers and cotters, as the clymer manual simply says "remove retainers and cotters"!
Cheers
Phillip

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Phillip..... On a 450, once you remove the torsion bars, the "lifter" will easily push/fall down and the cotters/cup fall out.....Mark (bag & tag) the torsion bar assemblies, they should go back in the same location...........

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
That is good advice. I have found that additionally having a good magnet on a stick will also save much fiddling when they drop into the cavity as they have a tendency to do.

Simillarly on replacement, vaseline or silicon grease on the valve stem cutout will help in keeping them in position when you come to refit the torsion bar. Hope this is helpful.
Take note of the position and orientation of the torsion bars, as it is not intuitive, as I found.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the replies,I did not realise they should just fall out, these appear to be stuck so i will have to support the valve and give it a sharp tap, plus get my magnet at the ready!
Its a shame we have to go to such great lengths just to sort the valve/ seats out.
cheers
Phillip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts