Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone let me know if this is ok or do I need to try again on the adjustment . I hear the right exhuast clicking some.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You might have a bit of excessive wear on the cam or rocker arms making it difficult to get the adjustment right, it still sounds a bit loud. Videos can deceive, but the high-pitched ticking generally associated with excess valve clearance is still pretty significant.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
In the short run I'd say no, but it will eventually lead to more wear... it's a vicious circle that won't end until you find out what's at the heart of it. If the loose clearance goes on long enough (if you can tolerate the high-pitched ticking at higher revs while riding!), it will eventually mushroom the ends of the valves where the tappets push them from hammering away as it runs. the earlier the better for less overall wear and tear. I've never had the top end of a 360 apart, but there are plenty of guys here who have and I believe the cam and rocker arms can be done in the frame so the job isn't nearly as big as it would be on a 350

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Is there a bolt below the cam chain adjuster nut? Mine is missing if there is supposed to be one.
Again, though I owned one new back in '74 I didn't have it long and never had to do much with it except for basic maintenance, and wasn't in the industry much longer at the time so I didn't work on many at all. Here's the internal parts diagram of the cam chain tensioner system on the 360, hopefully this will help you figure out what might be missing

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb360-sport-1974-usa_model1007/partslist/E++03.html#results

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks , I found the bolt and put it back in. I just rebuilt the top end and left it out. I am going to adjust am chain and redo valves and timimg in the morning. I work 2nd shift and will post a video after I get all 3 things done.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It helps the cam chain tensioner do a better job if you take off the alternator cover and turn the engine a little bit in the direction of rotation and hold tension on the front side of the chain before releasing the adjuster lock bolt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts