Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, but couldnt really find an answer to my question. My question is, what is the trick to remove the old seals. What worrys me is that i may have screwed something up already. I have included a pic for a reference.
I have new seals from vesrah.
Thanks for looking
-Dan Walsh

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dan

The seals are push fit - they just pull off. The seal has a wide rim with a raised centre - the rim is the black bit you can see in your picture.

If they're anything like mine were, the original seals are likely to be more than a little bit stiff. I used a long handled pair of needle nose pliers, but I'm pretty sure a pair of standard needle noses would do. The trick is to grip the outer edges - if you go for the hole in the middle, you're in danger of scratching the valve guide.

Your replacements should give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

HTH.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine just lifted right out with needle nose.....next to no effort required.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i see, thank you for the replys, i will attempt this after my math hw. Ill post the results.
sincerely
Dan from NJ

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, they pulled right out. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but i may have spoken too soon. what came out of the head, does not look like the valve seals i got in the vesrah gasket set.
i have included a pic of the new "valve guide seals" and the ones i pulled out from the head.
what i do not know is whether the "new" seals go onto the existing small metal "plates" (for lack of a better term), or these "plates" must be ordered from honda.
any suggestions?
Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
This is just a guess on my part but the new seals I installed on mine did not use the steel washers that came off. However, mine did have the "top hat" look and where held in place with the stock forked clamps. It appears that those will not be held in place.

They look like the wrong ones to me.

·
Registered
636 Posts
my vesrah kit also came with those, and they were for 5mm valves as well, not the 7mm ones. yeah, they are wrong. which sucks, because the right ones are expensive! ~$10/piece on bikebandit.com. they call it a "cap" which is a little confusing, but that is what you want.

part 14 on the engine/exhaust then camshaft/valve tabs.

(3838369-001)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just bought new seals from Honda.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi
I had a similar problem when I rebuilt my 450 K0 66, in so much as I didnt recall having them on the valves when I took the head apart. Interestingly I rebuilt the engine and only after having put it back on the road did I find a source.
What Im saying is that it does not seem to matter much if these are on or off. I have to say that they will be reinstated when the head comes of again. There is precious little blue smoke from the exhaust when she is running so I'm ok with the situation at the moment.

·
Registered
659 Posts
nigelrharris03 said:
Hi
I had a similar problem when I rebuilt my 450 K0 66, in so much as I didnt recall having them on the valves when I took the head apart. Interestingly I rebuilt the engine and only after having put it back on the road did I find a source.
What Im saying is that it does not seem to matter much if these are on or off. I have to say that they will be reinstated when the head comes of again. There is precious little blue smoke from the exhaust when she is running so I'm ok with the situation at the moment.
I suspect you're going to be getting some build up on your heads, pistons and valves.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
nigelrharris03 said:
Hi
I'm no expert on this so I might be wrong but I don't think the K0 Bomber had any valve stem oil seals. Came on the K1.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I have a full set now, so they will be getting put in place the next time I have the head off. However I am just enjoying riding her now. But as the winter is coming in I guess the layup wont be far off.
I will keep an eye on the piston carbon though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, i figured that the seals were not correct. Ill do a check on bike bandit. $10 a piece?! ugggg my budget is shrinking and fast. Thank you all for the reply guys.
Thank you all!!
sincerely
-Dan Walsh

ps i rebuilt the motor...again, well i replaced a shift fork, but the rings and hone are still new. ill post some pics :)

thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts