Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Clicking is okay. Double checking your work is also good!

Edit: just watched the video. That bike is really cute

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mine always sound a bit tappy but its hard to hear with these videos

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Video cameras have better mics that most of our ears, they pick up sounds that you normally won't hear and amplify them greatly. I hardly don't trust bike vids anymore to troubleshoot loose valves. Left side MIGHT be a little loose.

Easy way to tell if your valves are loose or tight. Once you get the clearance set, use the next FULL size gauge up from the one you used to set the clearance, IE if its .002 use .003 not .0025. IF that goes under without much fuss you are still too loose.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a good tip!! I’ll definitely check the clearance again when my stator cover is off next (soon).

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Too loose also hammers the valve seats and wears them and the valves excessively because the valve snaps shut instead of just kissing the seat. Takes a while but it does happen.

You are also not opening them fully which can partially affect performance.

Now there is the thought that running them slightly loose allows for more oil to accumulate under the rocker which could increase cam and lifter life. I run my 450 slightly loose just for that reason, that and the clearance setting is damn hard to hit at times.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm. Thanks for the replies! I’ll just set it as close to spec as I can and note that slightly loose is better than slightly tight. I already did that procedure, but I’ll have my stator cover off in a week or so, so might as well check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts