Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Does anyone have the specs for the valve clearance (both intake and exhaust) between the valve and the cylinders for the 360T?
I have a 1977 CJ360 that I'm considering shaving the head and/or decking the cylinders and I'm trying to find out how much room I have to play with...

Thanks,
Sonny

·
Registered
703 Posts
PM me for a site you can download the manual from.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You DON'T measure between the valve and cylinder to check valve clearance..... It's between the valve stem tip and the rocker..........
To check for a "decking" process, you have to assemble and "clay" the parts......

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
66Sprint said:
To check for a "decking" process, you have to assemble and "clay" the parts......
Check my project log for a how to....I did it twice :roll:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You machine the valve "pockets' in the piston crowns deeper.....Why do you have a specific amount you want milled off the "deck"? ...Are you going for an extreme compression ratio, is the surface damaged, or what?..... Stock ratio is 9.3/1, anything over 10/1 will cause other mods to be required....

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No specific reason. It's just that 1.0 mm shaved works out to be a final static compression ratio of right around 11.1:1 and that seems like a good number for building power. Probably going to end up with a regind on the cam as well. Anything else to keep in mind?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
At 11.1/1 you'll need to run Cam2 (full race fuel) at about a zillion $ a gallon.....
(A 9.0/1 engine requires 93 or 94 octane fuel.........)
Plan on adding an oil cooler and larger capacity pump as well

You might be better off keeping the stock ratio and turbo-charging the engine.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't even remember the last time I saw 94 Octane. Not even sure 93 is widely available here in Vancouver, WA.

Didn't realize you were so close to me, Sonreir. May have to get together for a ride some time. Though apparently you're bike will leave mine in the dust in the near future, so maybe that should happen sooner than later. :x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts