Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving this question to the engine section:

When I adjust the valve clearance on the right side it's a bit weird. I rotate the flywheel and 0.10 mm (0.004") goes in easy but if I wait 15-30 seconds it's too tight. I get space if I pull up the rocker arm with my hand but after a while it sinks down. Since I get more space directly when I rotate the flywheel to the T position or when I pull up the rocker arm that's when I should check the valve clearance?

I made the valve clearance adjustments so I can tune and sync the carbs but I noticed it smells a little burnt and I also see white smoke from both exhaust pipes which I didn't before. My left podfilter also popped loud a few times when I started up the engine. I could see the podfilter moving a little from the exploding pressure.

Could the white smoke be the valves that are burning or maybe it's beacause the top rubber gasket isn't sealed properly since the adjustments and the gasket is the only thing I've touched?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
How long did it run while you adjusted the carbs? It is air-cooled, it isn't uncommon for them to smell differently and smoke when they get overheated from running while stationary. Spitting back through the carb throat is usually a sign of running too lean.

Reactions: Chippe

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long did it run while you adjusted the carbs? It is air-cooled, it isn't uncommon for them to smell differently and smoke when they get overheated from running while stationary. Spitting back through the carb throat is usually a sign of running too lean.
I didn't really adjust the carbs. I wanted to warm up the engine before adjusting and I had it running for a few min in neutral, maybe 5 min.
I stopped since I got worried that I might burn the valves because of the smoke and smell. Not much and not that strong but that kind of smell feels unhealthy. There was some white smoke from the exhaust and after I turned the bike off the smoke was more distinctly and it kept smoking for a while.

Yes I think it's running too lean. I have new pods and bigger jets 90/125 which might not be right but before I adjusted the valves I didn't get smoke or this smell with the same parts on the bike. I also wonder if my right rocker arm or valve is normal since it sinks down after 15-30 seconds. PO adjusted the valves after the rocker arm had sunken down I think since it had too much space if I pulled up the rocker arm and measured.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Valves are adjusted dead cold on the T mark. One side is done, then the engine/rotor turned one full revolution to adjust the other side.
I adjust the valves with the lock nut loose, using my fingertips on the screwdriver handle I tighten until the feeler will not move in/out. Then I snug the lock nut which has the effect of pulling the adjuster screw up some giving an adjustment that has a bit of drag when pulling/pushing the feeler gauge.
I wouldn't be concerned with the rocker movement

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Valves are adjusted dead cold on the T mark. One side is done, then the engine/rotor turned one full revolution to adjust the other side.
I adjust the valves with the lock nut loose, using my fingertips on the screwdriver handle I tighten until the feeler will not move in/out. Then I snug the lock nut which has the effect of pulling the adjuster screw up some giving an adjustment that has a bit of drag when pulling/pushing the feeler gauge.
I wouldn't be concerned with the rocker movement
Thanks LDR, then I did everything correct. Nice method you use, feels so good to have your support :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.