Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all,
I lapped my valves this week, reassembled the valves and springs, and poured mineral spirits in the ports to check. My right intake valve had a slight leak- by that I mean if I wiped a piece of TP along the seam, i caught like a drop of moisture seeming out of it but otherwise it isn't dripping. I relapped it and checked again- same thing. I left the mineral spirits in the port the last two days (cos I couldn't get back to my shop) and the port is still basically full. There's still that slight seepage but wondering if it's worth lapping again? Since I've already done it twice (the first time I was being cautious/ airing on the lighter side), I don't want to overdo it. Can you overlap?

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Yes...... Honda valves have a very thin stellite layer that is easily removed, and they should not be lapped, particularly excessively

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes...... Honda valves have a very thin stellite layer that is easily removed, and they should not be lapped, particularly excessively
So should I just leave it as is?

Out of curiosity, how does that work when cutting new valve seats? Is the stellite replaced?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I would just leave it and ride it. The valve seat is a pressed in hardened steel piece. You can grind it several times before it needs replacing. The valves do have the coating that 66sprint is referring. I have cut chunks off the side of the valve face and you can see it. It is thick enough that the valve is junk before you grind through it.
TOOLS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts