Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a kibblewhite lightweight racing valve spring replacement set from commonmotorcollective a few months ago and am just getting to installing it in my cl350. The pack comes with replacement valve base washers that are specific to the brand, so I've gotta pull the base washers. Problem is I have no idea where to pry to get the former base washers out, and I can't seem to find any info on it. Anyone have experience with getting them out?

Also while I'm here, the overhaul gasket kit I bought has valve guide seal gaskets. The bike didn't have them on before, so I'm assuming it's not necessary but should I put them on since I have them?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You should be able to just pull the washers off with your fingers. Do not install the valve guide seals on the exhaust valves. If you want, you can install them on the intakes.
TOOLS

·
Registered
315 Posts
The standard valve guides do not have a separate washer plate. They are one part, combined with the guide.

You might need the washer to get to the installed height for the springs. RD, for instance, supplies a number of washers with their beehive springs plus a guide to measure installed height.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TOOLS, do the seals do anything to increase performance?

Erwin, I was afraid of that. They seem press fit. Does that mean I'd have to pull the valve guides in order to install the new base washers?
I'm not familiar with RD, what's that?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
On the 350 there is a large base plate (valve spring seat) that is attached with the valve guide. On the 360 and several other Hondas, this valve spring seat just slides over the valve guide. I have seen several Honda heads that have a thin washer under the valve spring. On the 350 if it is this valve spring seat and not just a shim washer you are wanting to replace, you must remove the valve guides, and then reinstall them. This might require them to need to be reamed to remove burrs created by driving the guides in and out. Also you will need to have the valve seats cut to realign with the valve guides. As for the valve guide seals, they do nothing for performance. Actually, the drag they create on the valve might even decrease performance. They just keep oil from going between the valve stem and the valve guide.
TOOLS

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TOOLS, thanks for clarification. I'll see if it's the shim when I get to my shop later. I have new guides in my shop- I thought I needed them but it turned out I didn't nor was I prepared/qualified to replace the guides at my current experience level. If I can find a shop that could replace the guides and plates I could get it done, I jut don't feel confident doing it on my own. The old springs aren't bad, they're just a little worn. Maybe I'll just put them back in. Or find a set of OEM springs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been a while since I checked, and I don't quite remember. I think they were on the low end of the spec/close to under the serviceable limit. Will check again, hopefully I was wrong and they're still good. Ha.

·
Registered
315 Posts
TOOLS, do the seals do anything to increase performance?

Erwin, I was afraid of that. They seem press fit. Does that mean I'd have to pull the valve guides in order to install the new base washers?
I'm not familiar with RD, what's that?
RD is just a manufacturer of valve springs: RD Valve Springs- Home
The seals are not usable on a CB350 with standard valve guides. Some aftermarket valve guides use them but from the factory none of the CB350's ever had valve seals.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tools, that's what I needed to hear! Ha. I figure I'll probably end up pulling the engine again at some point, the important thing right now is getting it running and making sure there isn't anything else wrong with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts