Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently done a bit of work to my bike. Upon starting it up for the first time, there seems to be a bit more valve noise than there use to be. That being said, the bike is running better than it has in the month that I've owned it.

The things I've done:

Rebuilt the carbs
Drained the old gas and filled with sweet smelling new super
New fuel filter
New air filters
New battery
New spark plugs
New points
Checked cam chain tensioner, but it was already tight apparently
Adjusted tappets
Adjusted timing after replacing the points, then checked the points again, then timing.

The above video is the bike after I started it, but while it was still warming up. After warming it up, I took it for about a twenty mile ride. At 3k RPM and above, the valve noise SEEMED to go away after warming up. At idle, however, it was constant. It seemed to be loudest in the area of the right side exhaust valve. This valve is adjusted to produce a slight drag on a .003" feeler gauge. Of course, this feeler gauge is not one of the neat little Motion Pro deals, so I had to make the bend myself. Because of this, I'm open to the possibility that it the clearance is more than spec.

I'm looking for those experienced ears to hopefully tell me if I need to close that clearance a bit.

I have to say, other than that, the bike rode GREAT for my short little ride. I am absolutely thrilled at the results of a bunch of work I've never done before.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
I noticed that you haven't mentioned if you've cleaned the centrifugal oil filter.....or changed the oil.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops.

I have a receipt for an oil filter replacement 2k miles ago (PO), and I changed the oil after getting it. I have some exhaust gaskets on order, and will inspect the filter after they arrive. I just want to have a set on hand in case they're needed, and I believe I have to pull the exhaust before I can get to the oil filter. In short, I know we're good on oil level, and I'm fairly sure the filter is okay, but not %100. Definitely have not had any kind of oil leak out during any of the work, lest the drop or two that was in the alternator cover. The oil looks clean, also.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
OK....You clean the oil filter, Not buy a new one (usually).....Do you have a manual?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've got a Clymer and a printed out copy of the shop manual TPBMusic posted.

I can troubleshoot a noisy engine based on the suggestions in the book, my question is, does this level of engine noise require further troubleshooting, or is it, at the very least, passable?

From what the PO said, which I know you can never really believe, it was his Dad's bike. When his dad passed away, he said he had the bike tuned-up, then subsequently didn't ride it much afterward. It had been sitting for two years or so when I bought it. He stated that, when the bike went into the shop for the tune-up, that the mechanic said it didn't look like the oil filter had gotten the attention it needed before and suggested a replacement.

Again, that's just the story. Previous experience is why I ordered a set of exhaust gaskets AND a centrifugal oil filter in case it hasn't been replaced and is no longer worth cleaning, and in case the exhaust gaskets are either a.)toast or b.) destroyed by me in the process of removal/inspection.

Another thing worth mentioning is that when I attempted to adjust the cam chain tensioner (before doing tappets, points and timing), I felt nothing at all when I loosened the locknut then the adjusting bolt. I took that to mean that it was already good to go. Could I be wrong on that? Is there another way to confirm?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The oil filter (centrifugal) is made of aluminum. It can't really go bad. All it does is spin the oil that flows through it to make the metal shavings and other gunk get thrown to the outside of the "can". You remove it and spray it out then re-install.

Have a look at this fiche: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cj360t-76-us ... E++09.html

The part is #14 and as I stated it's made of aluminum.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. So, I've got the wrong oil filter coming to me, which is kickass. I do appreciate the heads up, though, as I hadn't confirmed the part in the fiche. I just saw an ad for "CJ360T centrifugal oil filter" on eBay and went for it. At least it was just a few bucks. I'm bound to make some mistakes, as this is the first bike I've worked on.

Regardless, I've still got a receipt for a replacement oil filter supplied by the PO with my bike's license plate on the invoice. Whether or not it actually happened I have no idea. I still don't want to pull the exhaust off to inspect the filter until my exhaust gaskets come, which BikeBandit supposedly shipped today. So, at that point, I'll clean it.

But I doubt that's the issue. After the oil change, carb rebuild, air filter, fuel filter and spark plug replacement, the sound wasn' t there. Then, a week or so but no riding later, I checked the cam chain tensioner, adjusted the tappets, replaced the points and did the timing. Upon the first start after doing so, it was clicky. I feel confident that valves are not adjusted quite right, as I was using a feeler gauge that I had to bend myself, but was hoping to find out if the clickiness is a symptom of the clearance being greater than spec, or less than spec. I feel like if it was points or timing, it would be missing, which it's not. It's just clicky.

The oil looked incredibly clean upon my changing it, and still does. The oil level is good.

Me thinks I really need one of those Motion Pro feeler gauges designed for these bikes.

Perhaps I shouldn't have ridden it with the clickiness, but it was too nice of a night and I couldn't resist it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts