Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a '73 CL350 I have been working on. Picked it up as a non-runner in tough shape and have been working for the past few weeks to get it back on the road. Included early on in the work was resetting the valve clearances and CCT. Note: The PO reported low comp from this bike. I noticed the LH exhaust valve was VERY tight (as in, couldn't fit a feeler gauge under - hopefully the valve isn't burnt). Readjusted all 4 valves and got 'acceptable' compression (150+ cold). Anyways, after a bunch of work I finally got the bike started again but there is a lot of top end noise.

I cracked open the covers again and rechecked everything. One thing I didn't notice before was the little marks on the slot headed valve adjustments. In this photo, I have the intake set to about 2.5 thou and the exhaust set to about 4.5 thou. However, the little mark is not pointing away from the cam... It seems near the end of its adjustment. I fear this means removing the head :( Any wisdom will be most welcome!

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
No need to remove head...... Simply set engine as for normal adjustment and rotate adjustment eccentric 180 degrees (in whichever rotational direction that works easiest)....Then set Proper clearance...Engine STONE cold.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I pictured this screw being some cam shaped thing, where for example all the way CCW is the loosest, and all the way CW is tightest. I only get about 180 degrees of rotation out of the screw. With the mark pointing away from the cam, the clearance is too tight...

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Since you don't understand, perhaps this would justify a call....Phone me 540-525-5199

Not specifically a cam , but more like the offset of the crankshaft pin that holds the big end of the connecting rod in relation to the bearing ends of the crank which are centered in the flywheels.... Screw slot is end of crank, tappet replaces con-rod.... just much smaller scale

drawing here might help: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl350-scrambler-1973-k5-usa_model550/partslist/E++03.html#.XOBeWjJ_MfJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually... that picture makes it make a lot more sense! The fact the clearance goes from tight to loose to tight in a turn makes sense - I had it set on the wrong side. Now to button it back and and see how she sounds.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts