Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've begun to re-assemble my top end and am having difficulty with setting the valve clearances and I am unsure why. My only explanation (keeping in mind that I am a total amateur) is that *possibly* my re-surfaced camshaft and rockers, which I just got back from Delta Camshaft, are not to spec. That said, they've done a million of these, many here on the forum. So my money is I've done something to screw things up. The camshaft and rockers match, meaning they are compatible with each other (not an early cam with later rockers and vice versa).

278418d1553774133-fits-starts-my-72-cl350-7774581e-ff7d-4e43-928d-56bab68c4c8e_1553774131946.jpg

Got the cam and rockers back yesterday in beautiful condition.

Here's where I am now:

IMG_2313.jpg

Everything lined up - sprocket is parallel, crankshaft is at left TDC, and pin in the camshaft is pointing at 12 o'clock. Just to confirm, at TDC the left piston should be raised (as you can see in the photo)? Just trying to cover all my bases here.

IMG_2314.jpg

However, when I follow the instructions on setting the valve clearances my index marks are pointing at 11 & 1 o'clock instead of at 7 & 5 o'clock as per the manual. I'm able to set the left intake valve and both the right exhaust & intake as per clearances, but like I said the index marks on the rocker arm pins are opposite to where they should be. I'm unable to get any clearance (no feeler gauge will fit) on the left exhaust.

I tried setting the valve clearances without the head on and then with it on, torqued to spec and the cam chain tensioner adjusted - both ways no luck.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read this.

Cheers

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
The secondary index lines must simply be pointing away from the center of the head (on the opposite side of the straight-slot screwdriver slot than the the spark-plug or cylinder vertical center-line) .... Not at any "specific time"

11 on the left exhaust valve, and 1 on the left intake valve, are fine.......

Right exhaust valve should be somewhere between 12 and 6, Right intake somewhere between 6 and 12....Again, both "away" from the center-line....

Phone if still unsure.....540-525-5199....Steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sprint. But what about the left exhaust valve that I can’t get any clearance on?

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
First, set all four valves as loose as possible.....

Engine is basically timed cam to crank during the TDC at the LT on the left cylinders EXHAUST stroke (the "off" stroke), so that's where it is when the "pin" is up (exhaust valve not quite fully released yet, but minimal pressure)..... You want the left COMPRESSION stroke TDC to set the left valves, so next LT, and pin down......
When you are done with those, and rotate crank 180 to T for right cylinder TDC/compression stroke, the pin will be about 3 O'clock... Adjust the right cylinder valves there....

If this doesn't explain it well enough, you can always call.......

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve, your two explanations were bang on. Thank you so much. I was totally doing it wrong - you explained it in a way that made perfect sense. Cheers for that!

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
So I'm assuming you got it sorted (checked and reset clearance on all four valves) without needing to call.....:wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts