Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Utah newbie (Pics)

Hi everyone.

I recently picked up a '82 450 Nighthawk by accident. I was playing with an online auction, and a $30 bid ended up winning it. It's very weathered, throttle is seized, no brake fluid, tires and seat are rotted, carb gaskets are shot, and it had no keys. The parts of my find that really had me worried were the expired plates, as of 8/1990, and the tank of old fuel.

Because of the price, I decided to play with it, and had a key made. Hooked it up to power and the electrical system powered up. Signals took a little while to start flashing, and the all the buttons/switches are either stiff, corroded, or seized. Checked the oil, pulled the plugs, sprayed some lube into the cylinders and bumped the starter; it surprised me when the motor spun. Put the plugs back in, gave it some ether and tried again, it coughed a couple times and fired.

I'm thinking of saving it, so I'll be looking for a lot of advice. I'm a car guy by heart, but this is only my second bike, with the last bike being a Trail 90, some 20+ years ago.

Car wise, the DD is a 14 CRZ. I have three project cars in various stages, those are a 91 Saab 900 turbo cabrio, a 60 Galaxie and a 36 Chevy 2-door sedan rat.

The bike seems to be the easiest to complete, and since it's in the CRZ's spot inside the shop, so I'm going to give it my attention for now.

Pics as promised...

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle Gauge Tachometer Speedometer Measuring instrument Auto part

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Welcome aboard. Browse the SOHC section for lots of information on these and feel free to ask questions.
You'll want the FSM so I'll PM you on that

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. What a lucky 'accident'.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Don't know about Utah but in most places it's wise to have a title in your name before investing time/money.

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know about Utah but in most places it's wise to have a title in your name before investing time/money.
It's being processed by the state right now. Previous experience says I should have it by Wednesday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bike seems to be the easiest to complete.
Well, its been a year and a half. A few things changed and the bike was not one of them. Not long after my original post, I picked up an old Dakota that "will be easy," and ended up being anything but. I figured the dying V6 and dead automatic would be able to be easily swapped for parts I had, but I ended up with a tough reminder of buyer beware. The truck was $200, and needed everything but glass. Well, it now has a V8, a different trans, rebuilt transfer case/suspension/all brakes. The PO was the type that would just replace just the pads, after the old ones had dug 1/4" into the front rotor. He claimed it was so reliable that it only needed a battery and a u-joint in seven years. I should have walked away, but now have a new, old truck with a pretty good warranty through AutoZone. :D

I let the Galaxie go, since it was just too far gone. The SAAB hasn't moved, the `36 moved outside last fall to make room for a `60 Hillman that I had passed on some twenty years ago. While all this happened, the bike was just -there- in the corner of the shop. I would think about it from time to time, and occasionally move it to another corner. I honestly thought of scrapping it more than once, but then I'd realize how complete it is, and how I have heard it run (on starting fluid), and even with it being beat up, I still liked what it looked like.

I have decided to keep it. Since it has been off the road for literally a quarter of a century, I am going to really go through it. This will let me inspect all of it to try to find why it was parked so many years ago, and to make sure that all its parts are ready to get back onto the road. It will also get to remove the almost 40k miles worth of Cali dirt out from under its bodywork and get it looking like a nice vintage bike, instead of something someone abandoned by the side of their shed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts