Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some tires to get my roller off of the rims. My old tires were last used in 1982 and had to be cut off. I could just use jack stands and probably will if I can't find anything really cheap. But if anyone has an old set of tires in reasonable condition, I'd gladly take them off your hands. They just need to hold air and not be too ratty. It may not matter much, but I'd be more comfortable if the weight of the mock up wasn't resting directly on my new rims. I will not ride on these, or sell them with the bike, if I ever finish it. And I'll indemnify the seller if needed.

I have 1.85x18 and 2.15x18 rims.

Please pm me if you have anything.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I understand where you are trying to go with this. Save some money. As much of a pain it is to get old tires off, I’d be reluctant to try and put them back on. But if you like wrestling bears then have at it!
Whereabouts in NC are you? I have a Dunlop D404F 100/19-18 that’s old but in decent shape that you can have for free. I’m in Greenville SC. Let it sit out in the sun, use glass cleaner to install and it might go on without too much of a fight. Alternatively, you could contact Chris at Existential Motorcycles in Alexander NC. He might have some tires laying around. Nice guy, interesting approach to working on old bikes. Very zen-like. Existential Motorcycles » Contact

Reactions: Knoxes

·
Banned
854 Posts
Call the local motorcycle repair shops and dealers, see if they have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think I've found some new tires that'll fit the bill. 3.00 x 18 will fit both of your rim widths (close enough for his purposes folks) and these are on sale for $10. I took a look and he's got quite a few inner tube brands and sizes on sale for $5. If anybody is close by it may be time to stock up.

The place is in Ohio and they take Paypal so no big worries about fly-by-night sellers of offshore vendors, I guess so anyway.

I threw 2 tires and 2 tubes in the cart and calculated shipping 29401 and it came up to $45.01 shipping. :eek: Shipping for just the tires was $22.99 (so 42.99 for 2 tires isn't bad)???
But fighting with old tires is a sure way to nick or scratch your new rims.

https://www.bmikarts.com/Million-Motocross-Tire-250-17-275-17-275-18-or-300-18_p_7225.html

https://www.bmikarts.com/IRC-Inner-Tube-with-Nickle-Valve-275-300-x-18_p_5439.html

I'd figure there might be someplace local you could get a good deal from, or even find some vintage racing guys or moto-crossers who could sell you some of their take-offs cheap, anything but old hard tires. I even looked at moped tires for the sake of comparison, at DennisKirk you can get a pair of Duro Front Or Rear HF319 3.00-18 Blackwall Tire - 25-31918-300BTT Part # 544583 and their cheapest rim strips and tubes and it's still $75 before shipping. At J&P cycles (formerly Motorcycle Superstore) the best they can do is a Shinko 244 for $35.99

good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, PBR - I really appreciate the offer, but I'm re-thinking the whole strategy.

Ex Moto looks really cool, but he's on the other side of the state from me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've found some new tires that'll fit the bill. 3.00 x 18 will fit both of your rim widths (close enough for his purposes folks) and these are on sale for $10. I took a look and he's got quite a few inner tube brands and sizes on sale for $5. If anybody is close by it may be time to stock up.

The place is in Ohio and they take Paypal so no big worries about fly-by-night sellers of offshore vendors, I guess so anyway.

I threw 2 tires and 2 tubes in the cart and calculated shipping 29401 and it came up to $45.01 shipping. :eek: Shipping for just the tires was $22.99 (so 42.99 for 2 tires isn't bad)???
But fighting with old tires is a sure way to nick or scratch your new rims.

https://www.bmikarts.com/Million-Motocross-Tire-250-17-275-17-275-18-or-300-18_p_7225.html

https://www.bmikarts.com/IRC-Inner-Tube-with-Nickle-Valve-275-300-x-18_p_5439.html

I'd figure there might be someplace local you could get a good deal from, or even find some vintage racing guys or moto-crossers who could sell you some of their take-offs cheap, anything but old hard tires. I even looked at moped tires for the sake of comparison, at DennisKirk you can get a pair of Duro Front Or Rear HF319 3.00-18 Blackwall Tire - 25-31918-300BTT Part # 544583 and their cheapest rim strips and tubes and it's still $75 before shipping. At J&P cycles (formerly Motorcycle Superstore) the best they can do is a Shinko 244 for $35.99

good luck.

This is really helpful. Thanks a bunch, Alan. I'm going to order a couple of those blackwalls. I wouldn't bother at this point, but for $10 each, it's worth it just to have something that I can roll around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts