Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace the stock control switches and buttons with aftermarket units.

I've got a momentary switch that I'll be using for the start button, and from what I can tell without taking apart the controls just yet, that if I used the momentary switch one wire goes to ground and the other goes to Y/R in the harness. By bypassing the stock right hand controls and using the momentary switch, when the bike initially starts, the headlight would remain on instead of turning off before getting started, correct? What would be the best wiring options to retain that function so the battery isn't totally stressed out when starting?

Also, is there a best way to eliminate/not use the hi/lo switch but instead wire it up to a fused switch for just on/off? This would mean rewiring so the headlight isn't supplied power when ignition is set to run/on.

Has anyone used something like this for a similar situation? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handlebar-...om-/222227388306?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

I have the schematic but it's a bit fuzzy and I can't make out a few of the wiring labels. That, and I'm not the best with wiring and routing when it comes to schematics. I have wired a Honda GY6 Ruckus harness from scratch but somehow I am intimidated by this harness for some reason.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
That's a lot of money for two cheap low amp switches in a piece of plastic. Use a five pole automotive relay, wired to the headlights and starter solenoid, triggered by the starter button. Battery voltage to terminal #30, switched power(black) to #85, lights to #87a, starter wire(red/yellow in the main harness) to #87. Connect the wire from your push button to #86. Go to the solenoid and unplug the black wire from the main harness and connect it to ground. Depending on what you spend on the relay& terminals, you should be able to build the whole thing for under ten bucks.
edit: A five pole relay is also a dandy way to make a dimmer switch, triggered by only one wire to the handlebars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. 85 and 86 can be interchangeable, like in the photo, correct?

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
You need a switch between the battery post and the 86/30 terminals. As drawn, the lights will stay on even with the bike shut off. My bad, I should have said switched current to the #30 terminal. Just connect it to the black wire in the harness.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, no, I know that. I just found that online as an example. It's all clear to me now, I've got a Bosch relay on order and will be doing this all next weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When all done, will this really be an upgrade or just different???

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It eliminates at least two wires, going to that 40 year old switch. Possibly a little more current available for brighter lights?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When all done, will this really be an upgrade or just different???
As Mike said, it'll eliminate unnecessary wires and replace them with newer switches. I'm relocating the start button to a more hidden location to clean up the bars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts