Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't wait for those pictures!!! Hurry man! :p I'm glad to hear you've got her running and everything's good so far!! This is killer!!

P.S. What brand of camchain would you recommend for my 74?? You can PM me to keep things less cluttered.. :D

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I generally try to get parts from Honda - the cam chains are still available, but they're almost $100 from Honda.
I can't afford that, personally.
So I just got the regular ol' EBay-type cam chain - I forget the brand name, but it's the one you see all the time.
I've heard some guys recommend a CB750 cam chain, though I have no experience with that.

Sorry I can't be more help on this.......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still waiting for that update, including pics!! ;)

As long as it's a 29H chain then I should be good to go right?

GB

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Still waiting for that update, including pics!! ;)

As long as it's a 29H chain then I should be good to go right?

GB
The fiche calls it "DK219" - not too sure what that means.

I hear some talk that the aftermarket chains may have side plates that are a bit large and dig into the cam sprocket cushions more than the stock chains do.
I can't verify that either, and I always replace those o-ring cushion things anyway. They're still available from Honda for cheap. Word is they (aftermarket chains) may cause a bit more top end noise - I can't verify that either. Lots of stuff flying around up there in a 450 - but it's still not as noisy as a 350 for some reason, probably because of the closer tolerances.
I also have never tried a 750 cam chain (it's longer and would need to be cut down) - word is they are a bit more robust. however, I've never seen a 450 cam chain break - I've seen plenty of rollers disintegrate, but never a broken chain in its own.

It's not something I worry much about, personally - there are a LOT of other things to worry about on a 450, much more critical things - like getting decent compression.
You get a 450 up to 170 pounds or better, and it's gonna' run real strong. If you're trying to work with 150 pounds or less, you can't expect much from it.

Just my experience........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice write up on your site!!

I can't wait to see the pics of the bike completed.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you file the end gaps on your rings Bill? I've heard of people slapping em together, and others who ALWAYS file fit the rings to the bore, one at a time. By inserting the ring only, into the bore and checking the gap.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
GB -

I do check the gap on each ring by inserting into the cylinder.
However, I'd see no need to file them unless the gap was too small.

On Wifey's CB200 I had to use oversize rings, because that's all I could find. I did have to file them to get an acceptable gap.

Is that what you were asking??

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was asking because my manual, as well as other people rebuilding motorcycles engines, have mentioned file fitting the rings to a certain tolerance. My old Clymer manual walks you through the filing process to set the ring end gap within a specified tolerance..

I suppose I can check the ring end gap before slapping it together. Keep in mind this is all preparation for my rebuild, as I'm not tackling it yet... Just "taking mental notes" so to speak. This winter.......

I'm just hoping for the best with my cylinders but expect the worst really. It had 130-140psi on left, 140-150psi on the right with 9000 original miles. To make it worse, I'd already bought NOS Honda standard pistons and rings, and will probably have to buy new 1st over ones + machining... :|

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
To make it worse, I'd already bought NOS Honda standard pistons and rings, and will probably have to buy new 1st over ones + machining... :|

If that's required, I'd probably go to 2'nd or 3'rd over, just to give the machine shop some "meat" to work with. You may find them easier to obtain than 1'st over anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts