Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike wasnt starting, which was very much a bummer. hit the ignition switch, and no crank, no click, nothing. kaputski. After pulling my hair out for a good two months, testing, cleaning, dielectric-greasing, i ordered some of the cheaper parts because, hey, why not. I ended up switching out the solenoid, because the lack of audible click made me suspicious.

And it cranks! huzzah! so now i have a new problem: it cranks, and seems like it wants to start....but wont. I checked the spark plugs, and they spark the recommended distance. the gap is also at factory specs. at first i forgot to use the choke, and so for a day at work thought that might do it. so i pulled the choke out, put the freshly charged battery back in, gas on, switch on......ignition, and.....cranks, and seems like it wants to start, but wont. when i held down the ignition button and pulled the throttle it revved a bit, but it didnt sound right and wouldnt really come to life on its own. cut out right when i released the ignition button.

it was stored in a garage over the winter, but it isnt a very good garage. its fairly damp and when it hit -10 a few weeks ago, it was probably pretty close to that in the garage. could it just be wet inside the motor, would warming it up with a blow dryer help? i want to try and avoid taking the engine apart, since 1) that scares the hell outta me, and 2) i dont really have money for a mechanic if i really screw something up...but opening it up and at least cleaning the carbs seems to be my only option.

Any suggestions? i have a few bike-savvy friends i intend to ask, but any help i can get on my own from you folks is my first resort. Again, thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Key on
Confirm you have spark
Turn on gas
Count to 10
Pull choke lever
Snap throttle 7 times quickly
Hit the starter... For like 3 seconds max, no throttle.
Does it fire?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Was the bike running OK then suddenly developed this problem. Was it stored for a time then developed this problem?

Compression tests are best done on a warm engine but even the results of a cold test could be useful since we know you have spark.

You could also spray a bit of starter fluid in the air cleaner then try to start it. If that makes it run for a couple of seconds you'll know it's not getting fuel. Nice to be sure before you pull the carbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts