Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, maybe a silly topic, but... here it goes... :p Because I ride to work pretty early, which means that it's now dark when I ride (and soon it may also be dark when I come back home), and because lots of drivers out there are, well, not very good and/or don't pay attention, and sometimes not even fully awake (since it's early :-D), I'm kinda/sorta considering adding some white, non-flashing LED lights on my bike to make myself more visible (although if they're looking at their cell phones I suppose it might not help much :p but anyway)... so, not garish green or red or any crazy flashing colors or anything, just white, solid, as bright as possible, and a kit coming with a fuse in case something goes wrong. So something like this.

Has anyone tried something like this, and does it actually help improve visibility in the dark? I would think yes, but some things that seem great in theory don't always work in practice... For example I worry about how well they would stick and stay on long term. Plus, even though I don't plan on riding in the rain, if I do get caught, which I'm sure will happen, I wonder how these would hold, not cause a short, etc...

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Depending on the officer's mood, any setup that puts out white light towards the rear of a vehicle can get you a ticket. Red or amber would be a better choice, blue is a nono since it is is reserved for cop cars and emergency vehicles.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I checked, and here in MD, as long as it's non-flashing and neither red nor blue, it's fine. I guess amber would work too, but white seems like it'd be best...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Pretending car drivers can see you is a bad idea. Always wear All your gear and Always ride as if no one knows you're there.

No amount of extra lights will make you more visible unless someone actually sees them. Ask any veteran Goldwing rider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts