Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all
Does anyone have experience using this stuff? How well it works compared to just getting a new factory gasket?
Ive got a 1978 twin, 185cc. My trusted local bike mechanic recommended it when i asked about ordering a new head gasket. But seems like just getting the new gasket would be easier & last longer.
Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Short answer: no way. A sealant is no substitute for a gasket unless you like oil leaks. On top of that, the head gasket is a very different animal. The only thing you can use for a head gasket is a head gasket, or a copper shim, cut to fit, but not great for use in a street bike. Do you really mean the actual head gasket, or the valve cover gasket?

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Get a new gasket....The silicone rubber stuff, if any beads get into the engine, can block oil passageways, ruin bearings...just not worth the risk...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
still no way. The gasket on that bike is a molded o-ring, not a paper gasket. Any gasket sealant will make it very hard to remove, and it's a part that needs to come off occasionally for valve adjustment. I'd be very surprised if it was shot, but if it is, just order it
GASKET, CYL HD CVR
12391-399-000
001$19.58$19.58

1 - 6 of 6 Posts