Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ho hum. Cracking on with the refurb, 1970 K1 CB350 US import. For a fifty year old budget motorcycle, this is in quite extraordinary condition, no rusted in bolts, wiring in good condition, just needed the usual carb clean, and clean, and clean and she started running like a Swiss watch.
Have sourced everything It needs and now starting on the rats nest of wiring in the headlight bowl, it will be simplified and neatened.
Then I realised this is a US headlamp, dips to the right and with no pilot light aperture. Need a source of a UK headlight please, or a good substitute... or even one that you might have lying around?
Cheers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is this because you want it UK legal or are you blinding oncoming traffic, I doubt it as mine only has a 35w lamp in!

Reason I ask is I've got a US 350 with sealed beam headlamp and has always passed the MOT, although not needed after last May, and because of the low wattage it's never caused any issues out on the road.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Shep.
Yes, its because of the UK MOT it will have to pass as part of the NOVA registration process. You are right that it gives a less than startling light output so I might be lucky, I do have a sympathetic tester who 'might' overlook it. However... I have now three phased the alternator and it runs through a modern reg/rec unit. With the halogen type bulbs now available, I was hoping to get something more approaching illumination out of it. I appreciate this will involve a new reflector, or at least modification of the original. A work in progress....
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Not sure if you know this already, but the UK CB175 and CB200 use the same headlamp assembly, might increase your search options.

Alternatively, fit a British headlamp assemble complete, shell and reflector. Back in the day, I fitted a chrome unit from some old Triumph, maybe off a Trident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You won’t need to mot it for the nova as it’s over 40 year old bikes 40 years old or older don’t require an mot for registration

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, you do need an MOT for the Nova process, and insurance, and your inside leg measurment too by the looks of the V55/5 form. But, she passed her MOT yesterday with flying colours and much approval from the mechanics. As you say, the headlamp beam looked fine to them. They actually couldn't believe that this is a 50 year old machine, not just its condition, but the level of creature comforts. A touch of the starter button and she ticked over at a steady 1000 rpm, much to their amazement. I think these young pups think we rode around with girder forks and sidevalve engines.
Anyway, back on topic, I'll expand my search a little to include those alternatives, might as well take advantage of a steady 14.5 volts from the updated charging circuit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can just leave the mot bit blank if it’s ober 40 years old and you have a letter of proof of age I just did my 72 cl350

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've had the same problem. A Superdream headlight with an H4 bulb will fit, if you can find one, but the quality of the reflectors and glass is a bit iffy...Chinese... so look for H4, with park light, and E11 markings.. I need one for my KAWASAKI H1, and found one from M&P but I'm sending it back it's crap.
Bear in mind that if you fit a 55/60w bulb the battery won't last long around town even on low beam, the generator struggles to keep up with that load, especially if you use the starter motor a lot.
One useful mod is to join the white and yellow wires of the generator, it just optimises the output so it's giving full output from the start.
You could fit LED's but you need a modern reg/rec to get the best out the system, and if the indicators are changed, the flasher needs to be changed to a low current LED Flasher. You could also fit LED's in the instrument binnacles which would save you about 6W...
I've got a T250 Suzuki, to which I've fitted micro relays, which use the original handlebar switches to change the Hi/Low bulb in and out, but the load wires are connected directly to the battery through their own fuses. The difference was amazing! Still the same 25/35W output, but it's getting all the 12V supply!
This is all academic if you only ride in daylight with the lights off!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Gixxer. I'll ramble a bit off topic. The alternator output wires are now connected directly to the three inputs of a modern reg/rec. (my spare one from the Aprilia Falco). Now the full output of the alternator is available all the time but properly regulated so no more battery boiling. My voltage doesn't drop much even with main beam, taillight and indicator in operation and that at 1000rpm, a few revs and its back up to 14.2 volts. Cant understand why this isnt a standard mod for everyone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Done this mod myself and as stated a lot better, also fitted a leccy ignition kit from Boyer Bransden and this really upgrades the electrics as it does away with points, condensers, mechanical adv/ret and comes with new mini coils.

Best money I've spent on the old girl.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To pass an MOT in the UK you only need to tape over the guilty bit to give a flat beam. But try it as it is because my import GS850 hasn't failed an MOT yet using the headlamp that came with it.
My CL450 might be another issue but it''ll be some time before I cross that bridge.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all. Thanks for the inputs. Not much on the Bay at the mo, I'm going down to D+K next week, see whats in stock there. As you have all noted, as is, there is no problem. Just waiting for the registration docs to come back, snorting to get her out and see if my memories live up to the reality! I'll do the obligatory write up when shes proved herself.
Cheers

·
Registered
632 Posts
I was at DK Yesterday, to pick up a Kawasaki Z650; a GSX 400S Katana, and a GS 550E. Also put down a deposit on a 350LC MARS Bar.
That said, if you want to upgrade your lights, you have a few options, if your bike has a 7" headlight, just Google a Lucas 7" H4. You have options for pilot lights or not, and E11 markings for use in the UK.
If your bike uses 6 3/4" ....Sorry Lifeboat Shout.. back later..

·
Registered
632 Posts
Back... 6 3/4," try a Superdream headlight. But check if it's an H4. , limits the bulbs you can fit. 4" are for the Bates style chopper headlights. They're not expected to be out at night much.....5" are for the Six volt bikes..
Shep, what bike are you wanting a headlight for?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts