Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear every time I get one thing fixed... something else out the Blue happens. Is it me, or do I have extra parts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
If you haven't gone through the bike when you got it, you might want to. No telling what a PO's "repair" can bite you like this just did. Find problems now and not on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Remove the wheel and rear sprocket. Looks like a butcher was working on this part.
The rear sprocket has a spacer that is inserted so the sprocket has a tighter fit to the wheel hub, that's held onto the wheel by a large flat washer and the big circlip.
Need pictures of the wheel hub/flange section and the sprocket. If possible get larger image sizing on your camera so we can enlarge them on the posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I was rather sick after the family has been sick all week so I had t much motivation to look at the bike until now. I also believe y I seem to have an extra part ... it appears the lip has broken off that the clip sits behind. This kinda seems like to me that I need a whole new wheel now ? Maybe it’s time to look into the SSSA... I just need to find someone with a welder ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
New wheel is needed. Cost of welding and lip area in and the machine work to finish it will easily exceed the price of a wheel. You're looking for a 1981 CB400T or 1982 CB450T rear wheel, the 1978/79 CB400T2 wheel will work but it's not the reversed Comstar style.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I figured... kinda blows since I have the new tire on this one too? and the yard isn’t open on Sunday’s for me to run and grab another. I swear though some random items seem to be breaking in this bike I never thought or heard of before happening.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It happened to me on a 250N Superdream. Replaced the wheel from a breakers. I’ve seen it before on other bikes so you’re not alone. The wheel outside of the circlip shears off. Don’t know why, but check the new wheel carefully before parting with cash.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Ya I figured... kinda blows since I have the new tire on this one too? and the yard isn’t open on Sunday’s for me to run and grab another. I swear though some random items seem to be breaking in this bike I never thought or heard of before happening.
Count your blessings, I have one sort of salvage yard locally and another one 100 miles away. Neither one is well stocked in older bikes. You have Bob's which is next to heaven for old bikes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bobs is the place I go to, luckily this being a large city they have plenty of bikes lol my place in Florida in the other didn’t . So I went got a wheel today. It’s slightly different but I got the axle and all with it. Most of the Comstar wheels were 16s and I need the 18. There was one on a bike that was exact but it was in the weeds in the bike still and I was running out of time before I realized there was entire racks of just wheels... orignal is left my replacement for now is the right

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That's a 1978/79 CB400T2 rear wheel, original Comstar instead of reversed. Once the tire is off check that there is a safety bead ridge, if so then you should be ok running tubeless. No or minimal ridge requires a tube. Compare it to your old wheel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The guy doing the tire swap said it needed a tube, so he slapped one in there... parts of me kinda like the silver color, but to make it match/flow, I’m prob going to spray it satin black like the rest.

Attachments

Reactions: longdistancerider
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.