Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Back in the day Honda ran fine on regular grade. Not so with modern ethanol and (other emission reduction) additive laced fuel. My 450 pings on regular. I just buy premium and don't worry.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't notice any performance issues with regular gas, but ethanol-free is understood to be better for the gas tank and carbs, especially if it's going to be sitting for a while. It's too expensive for me to use all summer when I'm riding every non-rainy day though.

I steer away from premium because it burns slower and that can cause issues on its own in some vehicles. I honestly don't know if mine is one of them, but my manual calls for "over 86 octane", so I use 87.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
oh fun...another gas thread ;)

I always ran 93 octane with Sta-bil in my 450. No issues. I did learn that today's gas quality is subpar and in like 4 weeks it 'went bad'. I drained unused gas and put it in my car and then filled up the bike with fresh every Spring.
The Sta-bil does work because I found I was cleaning out the carb jets less than before. When I first had my bike I used 87 but it did not seem to run as smoothly. However, each bike has its own personality. good luck.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Also.. not just the fuel, look at where u get fuel. Where I live there was a convenience store / gas station that was a old ... "service station / repair garage".. the tanks were never changed and when it rained heavy, you were guarenteed to get a large amount of water with your fuel. It was brought to light when people using this location had "issues" with their vehicles (stutter, and burned spark plugs). It got so bad, it was investigated, and the tanks were changed.
I have posted before.. it also depends on your states regulations. South Carolina's worst gas is better than Georgias best gas...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts