Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think it matters too much but I was just wondering about my 1980 CM400E. According to the on line PDF Manual there's a Type 1 and a Type 11. Not much difference from what I can see other than some of the Specs. The Manual says a Type 1 weighs 351 pounds and it has no Tach.......just Idiot Lights. Type 11 weight 370 pounds and it has a Tachometer. Well......my Title says mine weighs 370 pounds with no Tach. Does it make that much of a difference ?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
On a Type I engine, the pistons rise and fall opposite to each other, and on a Type II engine the pistons rise and fall together. The Type I engines were usually found in the more sporty bikes and the Type II engines were used in the more pedestrian commuter bikes. Many times, the Type I engine had twin carbs and the Type II engine had a single carb, but that wasn't always the case. I don't know if that's what the manual is referring to in your case, but it's fairly typical Honda nomenclature back in the day.

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
I don't think it matters too much but I was just wondering about my 1980 CM400E. According to the on line PDF Manual there's a Type 1 and a Type 11. Not much difference from what I can see other than some of the Specs. The Manual says a Type 1 weighs 351 pounds and it has no Tach.......just Idiot Lights. Type 11 weight 370 pounds and it has a Tachometer. Well......my Title says mine weighs 370 pounds with no Tach. Does it make that much of a difference ?
Ill bet you are confusing a Tl and Tll model designation with the Type 1 and Type 2 engine configuration... They DO NOT refer to the same thing.......

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Spokes. I'd like the others if they fit !
The rear wheels would probably swap.
Not the front wheels, as the T2 has a disc brake and different forks/fender. You could swap an entire front end though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The rear wheels would probably swap.
Not the front wheels, as the T2 has a disc brake and different forks/fender. You could swap an entire front end though.
Or perhaps just the slider with the caliper mounts, caliper, master cylinder and hoses.

Guy

·
Registered
781 Posts
Type 1 and 2 were the two models of 78/79 cb400t that were made, details are on wikipedia. The 1980 cm400 had 3 variants: cm400a (automatic), cm400t (tachometer, front disc brake), cm400e (economy which meant spoke wheels, drum brakes)

check cmsnl to confirm part number differences between fenders and forks etc.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey !! Great info ! So I have the Economy !! Lol. I'll check for Part # differences ! Thanks !! Think I'm gonna get 3" lower shocks and lower the Butt end down a bit !!

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
Unless you make it rigid, 3" lower will allow the tire to contact the fender in bumps.....
Make sure you reduce the front end by the same amount as otherwise the rake angle and trail will change affecting how it steers....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts