Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 1982 Honda Nighthawk 450’s. One with title one without. The bike without a title has the better frame, less rust and paint looks better, but engine is needing clutch. Both frames are missing the frame tag. The frame that I have a title for you can’t even see the VIN #. The titled frame has the better engine. Thinking about putting better engine on other frame. Do they even check VIN# anymore on something that old? Thx

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Depends on your area, I think. Florida rarely looks at bike frames, only generally during a traffic stop if they suspect the bike to be stolen. Otherwise, if you take a good title in to register the bike, it gets registered and no one here ever looks at the bike to verify. You could have the local authorities check to see if the bike with title was ever stolen to make sure that area is cleared up. Your area or state might have "rebuilt" laws so you could present the bike and title to be as such due to a frame change (potentially from wreck damage or a failure of some sort) and potentially get a rebuilt frame tag, but that might affect your resale value later if you sell it

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Sure - but there are many here with real-life experience with the SOHC 400/450 series, I got out of the Honda shops before they came out and have never actually worked on one. My best experience is in the DOHC 450s and the CB/CL/SL350s as well as most of the singles from the late '60s into the mid-'70s. After that, I went to work for the City of Tampa on Harleys and later, Kawasakis. A lot of what we do and need done on these things is similar and I've been working with engines and bikes all my life like so many here, so I'm sure there will be things I can help with but LDR and so many others here are experts on your bike and engine.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Mismatched title/frame can be an major issue for a future buyer. I know that when a bike is registered from out of state into California they do a VIN check of the bike including the engine number and any smog related equipment. Missing smog is easy, they just won't allow registration till fixed. Number problems will usually involve waiting around for CHP to come and possibly confiscate the bike.
Here in Washington they didn't want to look at VIN's, just took my CA titles and issued WA ones. CA uses Engine numbers as well as Frame, WA uses frame only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts