Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got off my butt and finished the Twin Leading Shoe conversion that I acquired the parts for some time ago. Except for a few minor difficulties, it turned out pretty good. The biggest problem being the Tomaselli style brake lever mount is not meant to go around the control housing. Still functional but doesn't fit where it should. It will get replaced with one that fits. The chrome rim was dull and scratched, so I painted it. I tried gold metallic at first to go with the pin striping, and I thought it looked great until I put it on the bike, so it got painted again. Silver metallic this time, and I'm OK with it, but I see an 18" high shouldered Akront in the future. My front fender was in great shape, but I had a fender from a '73 CB750 that bolted right on, and gives it a more vintage look with the front stay. I'm going to Domi Racer this weekend, and may pick up some fork gators, and a pedestrian slicer. :)

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Nice, very very nice.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Looks like it came from the factory that way. Nice work..

HOWEVER, you might wanna think about re-routing that cable away from the tire (outside of the fender brace) unless that fender has the inner guide rod built in to hold it, and we just can't see it because of the angle of the picture..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Mate that looks great, it gives the bike a rear classic feel and as the others have said is factory flavoured! How do you find the brakes, any better than the disc?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I liked that bike before you did the conversion but this really makes it look great. I want to do that to mine now. We need to talk this weekend at the coffee shop so I can get the parts needed from you. I am hoping to ride the new Scrambler there this week. As usual you did a great job.
Don

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.
It's hard to see in the picture, but for now I have a couple of zip ties keeping the brake cable off the tire. I'm working on a proper cable stay.
So far the drum feels a little better than the disc, but not much. I lightly sanded the drum, and shoes, so they will bed in more with some miles, and the Tomaselli style lever doesn't fit well either, so it will improve the feel somewhat when I get a lever assembly that fits. It's really nice to come to a stop without that horrible disc brake squeal. :D
ZNABB, "Pedestrian Slicer" is another name for a number plate that mounts to the top of the front fender. I hadn't thought about a Bacon Slicer, thanks I'll look in to that. :cool: I have an 18" high shouldered Akront in my basement that I thought about using, but decided to keep it simple until I saw how I liked the brake, but after seeing what Shane did with his Black Bomber, I'm itching to do it over already, but I'll ride it like this for a while. :D

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I have that disc brake that you removed on my 500t and my CB450 and I dont like them. My 450 Scrambler has the brake that you installed on your 500 and I think that if they are set up right they are as good as the disc. Maybe better.
Don

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dlslick said:
I have that disc brake that you removed on my 500t and my CB450 and I dont like them. My 450 Scrambler has the brake that you installed on your 500 and I think that if they are set up right they are as good as the disc. Maybe better.
Don
I agree. The disc setup on the twins may look the same as what they put on the 750, but it's smaller and weaker, and the difference in unsprung weight is negligible on anything but a race bike.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had some more fun in the garage this morning. I rummaged through some scrap and came up with just the right bits to fab up a cable stay for the brake cable. I've been called a pack rat/junk collector, because I can't throw out a piece of something that looks like it could be used again. I call it being resourceful. ;) I happened to have a piece of plated wire just the right gauge, (God knows what it came off of.) and made a few bends by wrapping it around a couple of sockets, then I welded it to a piece of steel rod that fit inside the fender stay. A little drilling, and tapping, and shazam. I love it when I do something on the cheap, and it comes out like this. :cool:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Cool,,,, I can see the smile on your face from here.
Don

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, that's the very picture I was thinking of when you said Bacon Slicers. I had looked at them a long time ago, but forgotten them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sharkmonkey said:
Why route it inside the fender brace at all?
Keeping with the way Honda did the speedo cable on the other side. (The fender is from a '73 CB750)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
No bracket required.... Torque stay mounts to the 8mm tapped hole in the slider that used to hold the bottom of the disc arm's pivot pin.......

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, I should have put this info in a previous post. :oops:

Your original fork lowers should work fine. It is a direct bolt up using the following parts from a CL wheel;

CL drum and wheel / obviously
Axle and nut (you'll need to make spacers if you use your original axle and nut)
Speedo drive, and cable
Brake cable

A CL brake lever would be ideal also, since it includes a brake light switch. (That's on my wish list)

The torque link for the brake plate bolts right up where the lower caliper arm bracket was, you need a shorter bolt though, I bought a stainless M8x30 and new washers from the hardware store for a couple of bucks.

The left side of the fender mount is offset to accommodate the two hole upper caliper arm bracket. Coming up with spacers would be easy enough, but I just kept the two hole bracket.

Allen

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now with Gators!

I met up with some of my usual cohorts Saturday, and we road to Domi Racer, where I picked up a pair of BSA fork gators.
I put em on the bike today, and I'm quite pleased with the results.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts