Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm currently trying to revive a 450 Twin but I picked it up without turn signals, ONLY tail light.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for front and back signals.
I see that my stop/run light works well, what kind of signals do I need?

It seems that theres only 2 wires empty in the rear, is this for one turn or both?
thanks !

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It would help to know the year. Most Hondas use the same color codes, my '72 450 and '85 GL1200 have the same colors for the lights.

There are four different parts of the turn signal system. The wiring lights, flasher and switch. You should look to see how much is on your bike. About 1974-75 Honda added front running lights to the turn signals. On the front running light bikes the front turn signals have two wires coming from the light housing. Earlier bikes and the rear lights have one wire. The wiring for the right turn signals are light blue and the left is orange. There should be a green wire that goes from one of the mounting screws to a ground. In the front the ground are under the nut that holds the the signal stem on. On my 450 there is a green wire from the rear signal clamp bolt to the green ground in the harness.

BTW, in the wiring harness, all of the black wires ar ehot when the key is on and the green wires go to ground. Attached is the wiring schematic for the CB450 DOHC.

CB450 K5 Wiring Diagram.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks James.
I'm sorry I didn't specify, 1972 CB450 Twin. I see the green wires attached to the headlight, I have to kook for the actual turn signal connectors.
The rear wires are like you said, so I guess they are both single filament front and back?
I will look at the diagram! thanks again, I have to order the lights and I wanted to make sure to get the correct ones.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The turn signal connectors are orange and light blue. You should find them in the headlight shell and under the rear of the seat. Turn signal flasher connectors will be black and grey. I believe the '72 model doesn't running lights in the front signals(only two wires).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I found a set of turn signals that are single filament, front and back but they have to wires each, a red+black. the headlight has two green wires (free) attached to the assembly already.
I don't have the original turn signals or the stems..

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The turn signal connectors are orange and light blue. You should find them in the headlight shell and under the rear of the seat. Turn signal flasher connectors will be black and grey. I believe the '72 model doesn't running lights in the front signals(only two wires).
Thanks so much for the info everyone. I was able to connect front and back signals, headlight and taillight light up properly. The problem now is that the turns don't flash, they stay on when I push the turn signal. This is so for front and back, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
If the bulbs are LED then you need an electronic flasher to operate them, conventional bi-metal types don't work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts