Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mounting some new turn signals on my 1973 Honda CL350. I just completed the front two and one left rear and they worked fine. I accidently hit the electric starter button while moving a brake lever and something shorted out. Now my turns won't come on, but my headlight, speedo lights, neutral light still work. By the way when I checked the fuse it didn't have one and the person I bought it from just attached the cables together. I just installed a fresh 15A and still the same no turns. I can't try to start the bike since it is not fully assembled right now. Any one out there have a idea on what I blew out? Damn it I am a newbie at this stuff. Oh well add this to my growing list of bloopers.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Power to the t/s runs from the ignition switch through the flasher relay to the handlebar switch and then through the harness to the bulbs which ground the circuit to "heat-up" the flasher relay.... Since the other lights work, you have power to the ignition switch and main harness....... TRY checking voltage with the key on, at the black wire on the flasher (meter red lead) across to a ground (meter common lead (black)) If you read voltage there, read from the gray flasher wire (meter red) to ground (meter black) and see if the power is going through the flasher. IF voltage there, the flasher module is good, and the problem lies further "downstream" in the circuit..... If not, replace flasher...... Once you're this far let me know results, and we'll investigate further "downstream" if necessary.... Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Well after I removed the flasher and reconnected it the T/S now work. I don't know why, but they do. I hope I don't find that something else is blown and my bike won't start when reassembled. Everything worked before. Any way thank you for the explanation I am sure that my flasher will need replacing soon. Something caused the T/S to not work, when I accidently pressed the elect start button.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Check your battery..... Pushing the starter button grounds through the solenoid and allows power to the starter (heavy) wire which could have accidentally been grounded sitting there (discharging the battery) not to mention the power used for "testing" the t/s circuits, lights, etc.... Battery may have just been "low" and "tired", and sitting allowed it to "rest".....

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
That simply sounds like a bad/dirty connection if taking it apart and re-connecting it made the flashers work. A low battery or failure at only one blinker will cause the lights to go on but not to flash on and off, as sufficient current flow through the flasher unit is what makes it cycle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts