Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed that the turn signals on my 75 cl360 do not flash, the light turns on, but its a just a solid light, no blinking. I first expected the turn signal relay to be the culprit, especially since there are only two connections, when there are three wires(black, white, and green). Only problem, is that the turn signals were fully functional at one point with the same relay. Only other important event is that i laid the bike down on its left side, so maybe something got jarred loose. Other than that everything is stock. Anyone got any ideas of where to start troubleshooting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had similar funky behavior on my turn signals. My flasher (round with 2 little wires mounted to battery box) was damaged by some battery acid.

Try this to diagnose: Park the bike running or not, open up the seat, turn on the flasher at the left handlebar as normal. Note what the signal is doing. Then flick the flasher with your finger. If the signals start going eratically, then the problem is a faulty flasher. Replace the flasher, as I did.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Could just be low voltage, if you have a battery charger connect it to the battery terminals and see if the lights flash.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Just replace the Flasher Unit. There is really no way to TEST Them.
They can Fail either Open or Closed.

If they Fail OPEN the Bulbs don't light up.
If they Fail Closed they stay on forever.

Standard Flasher Relays operate on Current Draw.

The internal parts are a BI-METAL Switch.

(2) Sandwiched layers of different metals that expand at VERY different rates when heated.

When current is applied (Turn signals - ON) the Current Heats up the Bi-Metal strip.
The Strip then BENDS Away from the secondary internal contact.
Once the strip bends away from the contact the current is removed the Turn Signal Bulbs go out.
The Strip then cools and bends back onto the internal contact.
The Current is passed to the bulbs again - The turn signal light up
Rinse and Repeat.
The clicking sound you hear is the contact strip opening and closing.

If for any reason the current is not sufficient to make the strip heat up - (think Bad Ground).
(Or if the Bi-Metal Strip Fails - Sticks CLOSED or Breaks (they only bend so many times before they break) or the Internal Contacts have burnt and failed.
The process does not happen.

Since the replacements are cheap and it will fail at some point just swap it out with a new one.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Reactions: bilbikek411

·
Registered
4,402 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Also, if one marker light is blown (open) there won't be enough resistance to heat up the flasher relay (one light just stays on). Make sure both bulbs on each side are correct parts and good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts