1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 1978 CB400TII.
All four turn signals are on with ignition on. They all flash properly
when turning.
Is it normal for this model for signals to be always on.

Also headlight does not come on.
Should this be an always on headlight
There is a high/off/low switch. I am told these switches
are problematic.
When high selected, the idiot indicator light does not come on.

So far have checked fuses and they are fine.
Swapped headlights and no joy either.

Also the ignition key park settings behaves like off.

Any suggestions before I bring out the multi-meter?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes they should be on when the ignition is on run. You'll need a proper FSM. PM sent. A color wiring diagram is on page 12 for your model. The high beam indicator gets it's power from the headlight. If neither the lo beam or the high beam do not work, then the only circuit common is the Black/Yellow wire which goes through the black connector in the headlight nacelle to the fule. Double check the fuse and ensure the connector are not corroded.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to SOHC Electrical section
For the US and Canadian models:
The stock setup is the front turn units are lit full time and the rears are turn only. Fronts use an 1157 dual filament bulb, rears an 1156 single filament. It's possible that the PO used fronts on the rear to get rear running lights, he would have connected the extra wire to the Brown taillight wire.
Yes, this is an always on headlight. Check the socket on the back and see if you have power on the White wire on low, power to the Blue wire on high. Green is ground. There is supposed to be a short Blue pigtail wire coming off the socket the feeds power to the high beam indicator.
The stock headlight switch was only Hi/Lo, no off position.
The ignition switch in the Park position supplies power to the Brown wire which id taillight power, Euro models had a park light in the headlight and you'll find 1 extra Brown wire in the headlight bucket for that. The key can be removed in the Park position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts