Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought 2 new turn signal lights to replace the stock ones. They are not LED lights. These come with 3 wires...black, brown and red. So to test, I simply took out one of the turn signal connection and try this on. They don't blink no matter which wire color I plug into it. If I ground, they will stay lit(but not flash) if I don't ground, nothing happens. Also, this light have 2 brightness levels. The red wire is brighter than the brown wire. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!!

I know it's not a electrical problem because as soon as I connect the stock signal light back, it works.

IMG_20180622_101837.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Buy a Flasher Relay that is designed for LED's.
It will be electronic NOT Resistance operated.

Your New units are not pulling enough current to heat up the resistance based flasher.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But my new signal lights are not LEDs. Only my tail light is. I thought flasher relay is only needed for LED turn signal lights and not tail lights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy a Flasher Relay that is designed for LED's.
It will be electronic NOT Resistance operated.

Your New units are not pulling enough current to heat up the resistance based flasher.
Hi,
But my signal lights are not LEDs. Only my tail light is. But I thought flasher relay only needed for turn signal lights?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Sounds like the black wire is ground, red is turn signal and brown is for running lights. If the light comes on but doesn't flash you need to change the flasher unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sounds like the black wire is ground, red is turn signal and brown is for running lights. If the light comes on but doesn't flash you need to change the flasher unit.
I think you are right. I put the stock lights back on and everything works. The new signal lights I bought is smaller, probably consumes less power plus an led tail light. That's the only thing I can think of. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
A resistance Style Flasher uses a BI-METAL Strip internally that makes contact when the lights are "ON".

(2) Layers of different metals tha have very different coefficients of expansion.

When Power is applied the strip begins to heat up.
I bends due to the (2) different metals expanding at different rates.

This makes the contact point break open and the lights go out.

This process happens quickly (Flashes) - also the CLICK You hear is that strip making and breaking contact.

If your lights don't draw enought current he strip won't get hot enough to move.

That is why an electronic flasher which is a Transistor based TIMING Circut will work for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A resistance Style Flasher uses a BI-METAL Strip internally that makes contact when the lights are "ON".

(2) Layers of different metals tha have very different coefficients of expansion.

When Power is applied the strip begins to heat up.
I bends due to the (2) different metals expanding at different rates.

This makes the contact point break open and the lights go out.

This process happens quickly (Flashes) - also the CLICK You hear is that strip making and breaking contact.

If your lights don't draw enought current he strip won't get hot enough to move.

That is why an electronic flasher which is a Transistor based TIMING Circut will work for you.
Thank you Yendor! I bought the Novita EL12 Flasher and it works now. Thanks again!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts